Why become a member? ×

Double Bass on a train ?

Kenmarley

I am thinking of trying to take my DB Ona virgin train from Manchester to Edinburgh day return and I looked at their website which gives the following info re luggage:

“Beneath your seat
For small cases or bags
The overhead luggage racks
For medium-sized cases and large bags. Think aeroplane cabin-luggage.
The dedicated luggage areas
For larger cases that won’t fit overhead, and whatever else you can squeeze through the doors, (not exceeding 30 x 70 x 90 cm)”

Now my DB in its gig bag is 200cm x 75x 50 cm ! I just wondered if anyone has travelled on a train in the uk with a DB ? BW Ken Marley

I've used the local train network in yorkshire plenty, but best to avoid rush hour like the plague. The usual drill is that you need to avoid blocking corridors and the nearside platform side doors, I've found that if you ask the guard nicely where would be best they appreciate that you are trying to make their life easier in respect to their H&S responsibilities and are very accomodating. Bear in mind that you might end up having to stand with your DB for the entire journey to ensure it doesn't get damaged or to be on hand to move it out of the way if necessary. If it needs to go in the guards van, then make sure you have means to strap it in place quickly and securely.

Never taken my DB on a Virgin train specifically, try talking to their customer service first, but if you are passing through a mainline station, and have the opportunity to talk to their frontline staff in person you might get better answers.

It depends entirely what actual train you end up on, I think Virgin on the WCML is all the 390 or 221s (I'm not a train nerd, honest...). If so, they have a big/oversize luggage space in the coach with the bike racks (one coach up from either end. It's on the floor so you wouldn't have to list and would mostly likely accommodate a DB, but it's first come first served. There's vertical bike storage areas that would likely accommodate a DB, you could make a bike reservation, but you may have to deal with some irate commuter cyclists. (I commute on these trains everyday with a bike, so unfortunately I'm very familiar). Otherwise, if you ask nicely, they might stick it in the storage area, but it's not a guarantee.