Why become a member? ×

*** SOLD!*** Sei Original 6-string Headless [as reviewed in Guitarist Magazine 1991] - New Year price drop :)
£2199

simisker

Price: £1999 ono

[as of 2nd Jan 2018 - Happy New Year, folks!]
Trades: no trades, sorry
----------------------------

Hello, Basschatters! Up for reluctant sale is the bass that was my holy grail: the actual Sei Original 6-string headless that I lusted over ever since I saw it reviewed in the June 1991 issue of Guitarist Magazine.

A copy of the original review can be seen here: http://seibass.com/seiorig6rev1.html

As far as I'm aware, this would have been the first introduction to Martin's superb craftsmanship for bass players [it was certainly mine!]. In those pre-internet days [remember them?!], I must have looked at that review hundreds of times, hoping that one day I'd be able to order myself a Sei. Little did I realise I'd end up with the actual bass!

But unfortunately, I have to concede that I'm no longer a bass player. From buying this instrument from here in 2014 from a lovely German guy, it has been taken from its case only a handful of times. So now it's time for someone else to experience one of Martin's awesome basses, and play a little bit of Sei history.

PHOTOS

[click to embiggen - apologies for the dust!]:

seibass-001-frontfull.jpg
seibass-002-frontfull.jpg
seibass-003-backfull.jpg

VITAL STATISTICS

• Ash body, with bookmatched maple facings front & back, and wenge veneers
  • 7-piece maple & wenge through-neck, 34-inch scale. The profile is a wide shallow asymmetric D, and it's just soooo easy to play
  • Unmarked ebony fingerboard, with 24 frets, with exquisite contrasting maple binding
  • String spacing: 16mm at bridge [individually adjustable by a mm or so], 8mm at zero fret
  • LED neck markers - red at the octaves, and green for all other markers
  • Twin Bartolini humbucking pickups
  • Schack Preamp & 3-band active EQ [Bass/Mid/Treble cut or boost, with frequencies configurable via internal dipswitches - really flexible!]
  • Coil taps for each pickup for extra tonal choice
  • Black ABM hardware
  • Neutrik jack socket
  • Weighs 3.9kg approx - very light for a 6-string, with no neck dive :)

CONDITION

Considering it's now over 25 years old, this bass is overall in amazing condition - a credit to it's former owners! If it weren't for the published provenance, I could list this as a 10-year-old guitar, and no-one would bat an eyelid.

Of course, it's not completely pristine, and there are a few small bits of wear and tear that I need to bring to your attention. I've documented them in the photographs - which I've not tarted up, because I want to be transparent - but here's a comprehensive list:

• Body & Neck - A couple of minor dings on the top wing and the inner points of the horns [see photos]. There are NO scratches or gouges on the body or neck, and there's no buckle rash, either.
  • Fingerboard & Frets - The ebony fingerboard is in excellent condition; frets are well seated and unworn, and the contrasting binding is in excellent condition, save for one small cosmetic split at the 17th fret [see photo]. There's no fret buzz.
  • Electronics - As new! Pots have just been Servisol'ed [at least from the front posts - cleaning the internals is way beyond my ability!]
  • Hardware - The black anodized hardware is in very good condition overall. While there are a few superficial scratches and inevitably a little finger wear on knurled surfaces, there's no flaking, bubbling or lifting.
  • Pickups - The pickups have some string wear on the surface [from a previous owner's hard playing or setup inexperience, I'm guessing]. Obviously this is purely cosmetic, and it's not easily noticeable, what with the pickups being matte black plastic
  • LEDs - All working and glowing with uniform brightness [but proving to be a bugger to capture on camera!]. You won't struggle for positioning on a moody stage...

seibass-004-frontbodyandpickups.jpgseibass-005-frontbodyandcontrols.jpgseibass-006-frontuptheneck.jpgseibass-007-backbody.jpg[/size]
seibass-008-backuptheneck.jpgseibass-009-bottomuptheneck.jpgseibass-010-bridgeclose.jpgseibass-011-ledbatterycompartment.jpgseibass-012-electronicscompartment.jpgseibass-013-jackclose.jpgseibass-014-tophorn.jpgseibass-015-topdingclose.jpgseibass-016-fingerboardbindingsplitclose.jpgseibass-017-withguitaristreview.jpg

ALSO INCLUDED

• PRG Phenom hard case in near-mint condition
  • A copy of Guitarist Magazine from June 1991, also in near-mint condition [would look great in a display cabinet, eh, Martin? Hint Hint :D ]
  • 3 new sets of Elites double ball-end strings
  • If you come and collect, I'll also throw in the Hercules Mini stand seen in the photos.

PAYMENT & DELIVERY

Bank Transfer or Cash on Collection only [subject to agreement]

I'm based in Sheffield, South Yorkshire.

Courier delivery can be arranged by the buyer at their expense & responsibility [I'll bubble-wrap the hell out of it, don't you worry].
Another delivery option is to meet and deliver at a mainline train station post-payment, if that'd be more convenient. We can thrash out the details.

ABOUT ME
I've been a member on here for a good number of years, though these days I haven't visited or posted [Shame! Shame!].
I've sold 2 basses here before [a Sei fretless 6 and a Wal Mk2 5], and bought a couple too [this bass, and a Variax]. They've all been faultless transactions, but I'm buggered if I can find the feedback I've left/received for them :/
My user name is my surname, so hopefully you can see that I'm not exactly untraceable, and therefore unlikely to try any nonsense.

If I've missed anything important, let me know/just ask. Thanks for looking :)

Edited by simisker
Sold - many thanks, everyone :)

I had my Sei original series 6 headless built by Martin before he even moved in to the Camden shop , wonderful instrument which I worked with exclusively for many years .. His basses have been of the highest quality from the start of Sei in my opinion .. Good luck with the sale .
Brought back memories of getting mine back in the day , after borrowing the money of my dear old Dad .. sorry for the nostalgic highjack .. J

Thanks, everyone, for the PMs, the well-wishing, the glowing comments and the recollections [no need to apologise, Hairnesy!]

I hope that the next owner will play the dickens out of the bass; it's such a shame for this instrument to be a case-dweller.

Edited by simisker

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, gioby :)

One addendum to this ad that I've only just discovered[!] : the bass ONLY takes double-ball end strings.

EDIT: Actually, it CAN take single ball end strings too, with the addition of the appropriate grub screws for the headpiece. For some reason, this bass doesn't have the screws, but the headpiece has the threads to allow for them :)

Edited by simisker
Correction about single ball end string support :)