Why become a member? ×

Fender Jazz reissues

NancyJohnson

Now then.

It's my birthday beginning of next month and I'm lining up a birthday/pre-Christmas purchase of a Fender Jazz - I'm going against my heart and buying new, but I seriously need honest good cop/bad cop reviews on four models and preferably your choice from:

1) the new MIM 70s reissue (advertised @ £450 and mentioned elsewhere in this forum);
2) a Geddy Lee signature model (you all know this one), or,
3) a Japanese JB75/US (£700 shipped) like this: [url="http://imageevent.com/nu2uguitars/fenderjapanjb75usfcblack"]LINK[/url]
4) a Highway One upgrade model (this is my outside choice)

Erring on the side of caution, I would say my first choice is #3 above - it looks the nuts to be honest. I played both the Geddy and the JB75 in the US recently and while the Geddy had a neck to die for, the JB75 had a beautiful phat tone. I would hasten to add that if I went with the JB75 I'd probably put a BadAss II on it. I haven't touched one of the new MIM 70s reissues.

Alternatively, should I just continue to hold on for a Lakland DJ5 (also in black)?

Cheers (and confused)
P

Edited by NancyJohnson

I own a geddy and 75ri and while both are ace the 75 is the best bass I've ever owned out of at least a hundred basses, infact after having to sell one due to unfortunate circumstances I bought the same model again as soon as I could. That said I just sold my stunning 86 jazz special with status neck so I could keep my geddy. But if there could only be one of the two in my house on pain of death it'd be the mij jb75-100us just awesome. Intact if you listen to the useless wooden toys songs in my myspazz link below you can here it except on some people and the mans a creep which is a streamer lx

Oh and the only highway I ever played was utter garbage so that rather put me off them!

Edited by gafbass02

Here's how i came to my vote:

Matching headstocks are for people who like to match their handbags with their shoes.
I had a Geddy Lee and wasn't impressed. Too weak sounding.
Red basses are a no (for me).
So i went with the MIM reissue. The block inlays would swing it for me over a H1 in black. Although it would depend on how they played.

I say, get all four and play then blinfolded :brow: