Why become a member? ×

PSU with 18v option: T Rex Chameleon or something else?

radiophonic

I have 8-9 pedals on my board. 3 are digital and one I need to run at 18v. I've been using a One Spot with a daisy chain and an MXR 18v wall-wart. Unfortunately the latter is cheap piece of rubbish with a very short supply cable, which has sheared and started sparking after only 3 gigs. Time to bite the bullet and shell out on a proper supply. I'm not running anything super thirsty. T-Rex Chameleon looks like it will do the job. Any reason why this isn't a good choice?

What board are you running? I opted for the Cioks DC5 as it’s one of the only ones that fit under a PT Nano / Metro. So if you have on of those boards then definitely look into it!

My next choice, if fitting it under the board were not a concern, would have been the 1 Spot CS7. It can dish out more power and is more flexible than both the T-Rex and Cioks.

One good thing about the CS7 is that you can pretty much ignore the mA labels on the individual outputs as long as you don't exceed the overall total for the entire supply. So if you have any hungry digital multis or tube pedals, or want to run a long daisy chain from one socket, it should be able to cope no problem.

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1508141192' post='3389932']
One good thing about the CS7 is that you can pretty much ignore the mA labels on the individual outputs as long as you don't exceed the overall total for the entire supply. So if you have any hungry digital multis or tube pedals, or want to run a long daisy chain from one socket, it should be able to cope no problem.
[/quote]

I doubt I'll be running into problems tbh. The thirstiest pedals I have are a couple of TC Toneprints and a Boss BC1X. I have got my eye on an El Capistan (250mA / 9V) in the new year but I can't see me going any further than that. The major limiting factor as far as choice goes, was needing 18v for one pedal.