Why become a member? ×

New 4 String

Yank

Just picked up a new 4 string for my wife who plays tenor guitar. A 1956 Gibson TG-50. Straightened the neck, adjusted the bridge for intonation. This thing just oozes mojo. One of the last of the big bodied f-hole acoustics. We can't seem to put it down.

Thanks guys. There's a few different tunings that folks use, the main one being C G D A, like a tenor banjo which it was designed to give them a second instrument when Dixieland was on the wain and big band jazz was on the rise. Viola and mandola also use this tuning which if you capoed at the seventh fret is the same as a mandolin. Some tune them like the four high strings of a guitar, known as Chicago tuning.

Nice instrument. Has anyone tried ukulele tuning? My missus plays the uke and would like to try a tenor/4 string guitar, but is not keen on learning a new instrument. I foolishly implied it would be no problem tuning the same as the ukulele. I realise the strings would have to be swapped to maintain reasonable tension as a uke is not tuned low to high. Any ideas?

[quote name='Yank' timestamp='1504686822' post='3366504']
Thanks guys. There's a few different tunings that folks use, the main one being C G D A, like a tenor banjo which it was designed to give them a second instrument when Dixieland was on the wain and big band jazz was on the rise. Viola and mandola also use this tuning which if you capoed at the seventh fret is the same as a mandolin. Some tune them like the four high strings of a guitar, known as Chicago tuning.
[/quote]
[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1504689678' post='3366538']
Nice instrument. Has anyone tried ukulele tuning? My missus plays the uke and would like to try a tenor/4 string guitar, but is not keen on learning a new instrument. I foolishly implied it would be no problem tuning the same as the ukulele. I realise the strings would have to be swapped to maintain reasonable tension as a uke is not tuned low to high. Any ideas?
[/quote]

Has she seen a baritone uke yet?

You can substitute the high G string for new low one to get incremental tuning too. You will need a wider slot at the nut and the saddle and bridge hole may need attention but it gives a nice vibe a bit like a Spanish guitar on the bigger body.