Why become a member? ×

Roland DBass 210 - your thoughts?

funkydoug

am I going mad, or what??
Thinking of downsizing from the already compact Roland 210 DBass to something even more portable. The main reason is not just that it is a (very) slightly awkward carry when getting through doors, stairs etc. The main push is that I'd rather get away from the digital modelling and get a straight analogue signal chain. I'd hope this would lead to a more 'organic' (read warm / vintagey) tone and I kinda think all analogue is going to be fixable when the inevitable happens whereas the Roland stuff may not be.

I have gigged the Roland lots and it has been absolutely great but there now seem to be loads of small amps out there... I am doubting my sanity here and would welcome some feedback from others who gone to a micro rig or those who've played Roland DBass 210s.

Cheers all,

Doug.

I've played one a fair bit along with the powered 15, too. The setup sounded fantastic. At the time I had a Mesa 400+ and there was little to choose between the two. Roland make great gear and the idea of an analogue signal chain is highly over hyped imo.

That Roland combo was my main gigging amp for a few years until it died (the amp section, that is). The modelling was my bugbear too. I now have a Fender Rumble 500 combo (v3). It doesn't have the wheels that the Roland has but doesn't need them, as it's much lighter to carry (one hand carry) and easier to get through doorways (if holding it in front of you) because it's narrow. However, it's not as 'loud' as the Roland on it's own. I always use the extension cab that makes it a stacked 4x10 with offset drivers and higher up, so it's more audible and louder than the Roland on its own. More trips to the car but easier trips.

The other good point it that although it also has a class 'D' power section and the preamp is solid state one, it has a nice, warm 'organic' tone to it, which I much prefer.

Hope these observations help.

Edited by Sharkfinger

Thanks for the feedback guys.
It is indeed a workhorse and covers all my needs ... I'm kind of giving myself a pat on the back for choosing it in the first place as it ticks every box but ... I've lost that lovin' feelin' :)

will sleep on it.

Thanks again, Doug.