Why become a member? ×

No Sound!

Matt_UK

Hi guys,

Just tried to play my Ibby EDB400 through my Marshall MB30 Practice Amp - they usually go fine, no problems ever. However, I just turned the amp on to play through, and theres no sound. If I play the strings, it just sounds unplugged. Ive checked the volume levels on the bass and the amp and still no sound :).

BUT. When I unplug the bass and put the jack lead against my arm, or another metallic surface, I get feedback, which varies with volume from the amp. So Im guessing it would be the bass. Ive unscrewed the backplate and there are no loose wires or anything. The only thing I can think of is that the 9v battery is dead. Would that cause the problem of no sound output???

Sorry to be a bit of a n00b, was just wondering if anyone can give me a few pointers :huh:

Thanks in advance

Matt

[quote name='Matt_UK' post='321801' date='Nov 4 2008, 02:04 PM']Blimey that was quick! Cheers mate :)

Does it make any difference that the setup was working fine when I played yesterday? Can it literally just go overnight or would I notice a drop off?[/quote]

Depends on the bass - I don't have an extensive knowledge of many active circuits but I'm guessing some will exhibit some distortion/drop off as the battery fades, whereas some will operate fine until the voltage/current supplied by the battery falls below a threshold and it will simply stop working.

Perhaps someone with more knowledge will come along and confirm/contradict.

Mine lost volume for a couple of rehearsals before the bass eventually died.

I had kept my bass lead plugged in accidentally and it drained the battery super-quick. Overnight in fact. The output jack on active circuitry works the same as the Boss pedals - when the jack is plugged in, the battery circuit is complete.

Probably the battery mate. Can't hurt changing it anyway.

[quote name='Merton' post='321812' date='Nov 4 2008, 02:19 PM']Battery would be my first guess too, but...

does the bass work with your Trace combo?[/quote]

Unfortunately, as Im at Uni, I dont have my Trace here :) (damn this teeny room and polite housemates who would tell me to turn it down...) otherwise Id try it straight away!

Ill go and get another battery - if anyone has any other suggestions theyd be welcome :huh:

[quote name='Matt_UK' post='321896' date='Nov 4 2008, 04:11 PM']Just got a new battery, all sorted, it works great (with a brighter sound than before)!

Thanks for all the advice guys, muchly appreciated :)[/quote]

To prolong battery life, unplug the instrument lead from the body of the bass when you're not playing it. I don't know whether you are already aware of this.

S.P.

Edited by Stylon Pilson