Why become a member? ×

Effects Chain

tobiewharton

Hi all,

I've only ever ventured into the world of effects with on-board comps and the odd bit of chorus, fuzz and envelope filter. I'm now putting together a small pedal board (probably a Pedaltrain Nano +) with an EHX BSF, Hartke HC33, EBS Fuzzmo/TC Dark Matter (whichever I prefer when they arrive), TC Spectracomp and a Boss TU2, all powered by a 1 Spot. I may add an envelope filter in future, if needed. I'm not at all technical and not really interested in the non-essential ins and outs of it all. Primarily, I have no idea of the pros and cons of how to order the effects. Any advice is much appreciated.

Cheers,

Tobie

This is by no means a definitive order, but my chain usually goes something like Tuner > Compressor > Octavers > Envelope Filter > Overdrive/Distortion/Fuzz > Chorus > (any other weird stuff) > Delay > Reverb.

That's a fairly standard order. There's no real right or wrong though so experiment with switching things around - the worst that can happen is it sounds bad :lol:

[quote name='elephantgrey' timestamp='1501445645' post='3344737']
You should be fine, but if you have problems try using a gigrig isolator (still powered by the 1spot).
[/quote]

+1. It's difficult to predict whether you'll have any noise until you actually connect up the pedals and turn them on! Power hungry digital pedals can often be a noise culprit but it looks like you aren't planning on using anything like that at the moment so you should be ok. If not, Elephantgrey's advice above re: a gigrig Isolator is solid. Also, you probably already know this but when you activate an overdrive/distortion/fuzz there will be some degree of hiss...it's just the nature of the effect but not a problem once you start playing and it goes away when you switch the pedal off. Not to be confused with electrical noise!

[quote name='tobiewharton' timestamp='1501443775' post='3344721']
Thanks. One other thing: Is there likely to be a noise issue using a daisy chain with any of these effects?
[/quote]

You should be ok, it's usually digital pedals that add noise into the signal when sharing power. The only likely culprit is the Spectracomp, but then again I have a TC Corona that's happy on a daisy chain so perhaps TC have some special filtering to take care of it!

The Gigrig stuff is good, but overpriced when you can get an isolated power supply elsewhere for the same price as one of their adapters.

Edited by dannybuoy