Why become a member? ×

Confusing post about Lined Fretless intonation

Jean-Luc Pickguard

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='320845' date='Nov 3 2008, 12:27 PM']I now know that Ashborys are in tune if you play between the lines & horribly out of tune (a quarter tone sharp) if played on the line. It just seems weird that it was designed like that.[/quote]
It could be that the lines were put on in their theoretical positions, and Ashbory in their wisdom neglected to consider the fact that as you fret the string, you also increase the tension in it, and with an action that is presumably quite high in relation to the scale length, that actually makes a considerable difference to the pitch of the note.

[quote name='tauzero' post='325717' date='Nov 10 2008, 09:53 AM']It could be that the lines were put on in their theoretical positions, and Ashbory in their wisdom neglected to consider the fact that as you fret the string, you also increase the tension in it, and with an action that is presumably quite high in relation to the scale length, that actually makes a considerable difference to the pitch of the note.[/quote]
Not on an ashbory - The rubber strings are very low tension so you can bend it by half an inch & not get any noticable change in pitch.

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='322013' date='Nov 4 2008, 06:08 PM']I'm gonna have to say that I don't go with that. True some are but I believe they're in the minority.

Peter[/quote]

Most I have experienced have the fret lines where the frets would have been and you adjust your finger positions to suit your style of playing.
If the lines were placed in another position I think even more confusion would be created.