Why become a member? ×

Learning bass guitar after 40's

pnunes76

in my view, the best mix for a older beginner is

1) an instrument that youre comfortable with - i) it looks like the ones you see on tv (fender, gibson, rick etc) so you feel the part. ii) its not too big or small for your hands or reach iii) it sounds familiar
2) some lessons from a teacher to start with so you get some good habits - so youre not fighting the instrument.
3) an accommodating partner or housemates so you can find time/peace and quiet (kids and chores are the death of hobbies)
4) a willingness to learn rhythm notation so you can access tab plus and learn about space.
5) the will to practice.

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1500026120' post='3335180']
in my view, the best mix for a older beginner is

1) an instrument that youre comfortable with - i) it looks like the ones you see on tv (fender, gibson, rick etc) so you feel the part. ii) its not too big or small for your hands or reach iii) it sounds familiar
2) some lessons from a teacher to start with so you get some good habits - so youre not fighting the instrument.
3) an accommodating partner or housemates so you can find time/peace and quiet (kids and chores are the death of hobbies)
4) a willingness to learn rhythm notation so you can access tab plus and learn about space.
5) the will to practice.
[/quote]

Thank you for your opinion.

You match all the points that I have on my head to start playing bass.

I'll take it as my main rules. The most difficult part will be to meet some mate to play along and keep the bass far, far way from my six years-old daughter :D :D ;)

Edited by pnunes76

you can use headphones for silent practice - i plug an i-rig into my phone. bass -> irig .... irig into phone ... headphones into irig ... run amplitube/fender app on phone
[b]https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zepthus-Guitar-Instrument-Interface-interface/dp/B01MTUBJVS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1500030627&sr=8-1&keywords=irig[/b]

The app will import songs so you can play along silently, slow the music down, repeat parts etc

if you can find an electric guitarist/keyboard player you can use a mixer and two sets of headphones -not perfect, but work-able

regarding a collaborator, ask local music teacher or put a card in a music store window.

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1500030751' post='3335220']
you can use headphones for silent practice - i plug an i-rig into my phone. bass -> irig .... irig into phone ... headphones into irig ... run amplitube/fender app on phone
[b][url="https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zepthus-Guitar-Instrument-Interface-interface/dp/B01MTUBJVS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1500030627&sr=8-1&keywords=irig"]https://www.amazon.c...1&keywords=irig[/url][/b]

The app will import songs so you can play along silently, slow the music down, repeat parts etc

if you can find an electric guitarist/keyboard player you can use a mixer and two sets of headphones -not perfect, but work-able

regarding a collaborator, ask local music teacher or put a card in a music store window.
[/quote]

Nice tip!

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1500016495' post='3335093']
Yes but what if they have poor technique and he copies it ?
[/quote]

You really have to pick the clips where someone is doing it right.

Some guys have posted great song tutorials. And some, it's like, why did you post this, it's crap.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1500073740' post='3335533']
You really have to pick the clips where someone is doing it right.

Some guys have posted great song tutorials. And some, it's like, why did you post this, it's crap.

Blue
[/quote]
Despite being a beginner and without experience, I have seen good videos for beginners.

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1500155451' post='3336013']
I know nothing about being a blacksmith but if I watch a video about how to make horse shoes, how would I know if the guy was a master or a charlatan or a talented amateur ?
[/quote]

Not the best comparison, sorry.

IMO even a beginner should be able to detect a bad tutorial.

Usually the good one are easy to learn from.

Blue

Funny - Today I did a first lesson with a friend aged 76 - I am 73 & we met in the early sixties when he played rhythm guitar in a band whose lead guitarist left to join MY band, whereupon I became a bass player!
Because this guitarist was one of the best in the UK (although we didnt realise this till later) my friend never bothered to learn anything about lead playing.
So 53 years later here we are, me teaching him left hand techniques for playing solo stuff! Never ever too late....

And such a pleasure to renew old acquaintances!

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1500400410' post='3337497']
Funny - Today I did a first lesson with a friend aged 76 - I am 73 & we met in the early sixties when he played rhythm guitar in a band whose lead guitarist left to join MY band, whereupon I became a bass player!
Because this guitarist was one of the best in the UK (although we didnt realise this till later) my friend never bothered to learn anything about lead playing.
So 53 years later here we are, me teaching him left hand techniques for playing solo stuff! Never ever too late....

And such a pleasure to renew old acquaintances!
[/quote]

What a inspiration! Go for it! I hope to learn bass guitar at 40's and still playing at 70's.