Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Info needed please!

Bass-ic

I have, as you can see from my name , only just started playing, but am doing quite well with learning songs by tab, and generally practicing as much as i can. I have fun with it.
However, being the creative type, I am interested in multi effects. cost is a big issue for me tho, so what are the main differences between these two units. It strikes me that the Zoom is a good quality unit and I would like to run both through a looper. It will give me another 'voice' to play with at this early stage.
Is the Boss any better for the extra cash?
Thanks in advance.
Matt

Edited by Absolute-beginner

[quote name='cheddatom' post='320907' date='Nov 3 2008, 01:22 PM']I heard that the patch switching is too slow on the boss, but it has a "stomp box mode" which means you have 4 or 5 pedals rather than switching between patches, so if you fancy that mode, get the boss.[/quote]

the what ?..................

I didnt get any of that sorry
Matt

Sorry!!!

A patch on a multi effects pedal is a set of stored settings - so, you find a sound you like using as many, or a little effects as you like. Then, you save the sound you have. When you have saved it, your sound is called a patch. You can save lots of patches, and switch between then.

"stomp box mode" (on the boss, not the zoom) is a mode which allows you to use the multiple footswitches on the unit as seperate effects pedals/boxes, rather than using them to switch between "patches".

The patch switching i.e. the time taken to switch from one patch to another is seamless on the Zoom, but (i've heard) poor on the boss.

Am I making sense?

Zoom, easy to change patches... just stomp on the up or down buttons (you just have to remember which code relates to which patch)... Boss (I have the ME-20B) the sounds are great, but it's a real pain switching patches and you have to put it into memory mode first so if you get a power glitch, then you're frantically trying to get back into memory mode... the Zoom just reboots straight into the last patch it was in...

The slap patch on the Boss ME-20B is massive and even I can slap when using it, but it's such a pain getting in and out of it...

The Boss ME-20B in memory mode only has three patches immediately available... one for each foot switch... it's even a pain trying to get in and out of tuner mode...