Why become a member? ×

Flatwound or Roundwound? I can't decide

Guest MoJo

Can you still get strings that are a bit of both? I recall getting ajob lot of Rickenbacker strings on eBay years ago and a couple of the sets were something like 'groundwound' or similar name which were a sort of hybrid.

[quote name='bazztard' timestamp='1497758323' post='3320387']
the obvious answer is buy another P, put flats on one, rounds on the other . It's the only way I could resolve the issue hehe :)
[/quote][quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1497776050' post='3320449']
I keep changing from one to the other, each has its advantages...as advised, you need more basses, so you can have the choice without constantly changing strings!
[/quote][quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1497721901' post='3320268']
I play in a pub covers band and can't make up my mind whether I prefer flat or roundwound strings on my P-bass. I've been swapping back and forth between gigs and am still non the wiser. I'm thinking that rounds are a better all rounder (excuse the pun) for the variety of material that we cover, but I love the feel and the warmth of the flats.
Has anyone else suffered this dilemma and what did you do?
[/quote]

There's no need to have to choose between Flats or Rounds or tho lug two basses, just buy a set of Half-Rounds and you'll have the best of both worlds, the smooth feel of flats with a bit of zing of rounds. ;)