Why become a member? ×

CD Reviews

Jase

We've just finished our 5 track Ep (at long last!!!) and obviously need to get it out there and heard. Can anybody suggest where we might have a good chance of getting it reviewed. I'm well out of touch with magazines, any suggestions would be gratefully recieved.

cheers
Jase.

[quote name='Jase' post='316697' date='Oct 28 2008, 01:43 PM']We've just finished our 5 track EP (at long last!!!) and obviously need to get it out there and heard. Can anybody suggest where we might have a good chance of getting it reviewed. I'm well out of touch with magazines, any suggestions would be gratefully received.[/quote]

I'd think that local radio would be the sensible starting point (as long as it's something that you think they'll want to play).

S.P.

Edited by Stylon Pilson

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='316706' date='Oct 28 2008, 01:50 PM']I'd think that local radio would be the sensible starting point (as long as it's something that you think they'll want to play).

S.P.[/quote]

Yeah, possible I suppose.....might be some presenter doing a late night local band slot thing, but I don't fancy waffling on the radio about it myself though.

Cardiff's buzz magazine are pretty good at reviewing stuff. They've got quite a big circulation in the wales and west as well. Mind you, their reviews can be pretty brutal if they don't like it!
also check out Adam Walton on BBC radio Wales who plays a huge range of stuff. If its new and from Wales (I see you are based here) theres a good chance he'll play it.

this music round table is closed for now but no doubt he will do more if it works.
here's an email I recieved from him earlier this month

:
On Sunday 26th October 2008 we start a new section of the Sunday night new music show on BBC Radio Wales [10pm - 1am].

A panel drawn from experts within different facets of the Welsh music industry will be coming in to offer their objective and constructive advice on your recordings.

This *IS NOT* a battle of the bands. No one will be a winner, or a loser. This won't be empty, facetious punditry. The aim is to get you, the musicians, some clear advice as to how you can progress.

The experts are:

HUW WILLIAMS -- former singer with the legendary Pooh Sticks; ex-manager of 60ft Dolls, Big Leaves, Novocaine etc. Head honcho of Townhill Records. Helped found the Welsh Music Foundation. Worked as A&R for a number of labels, & Sony / ATV publishing.

JO BARTLETT -- member of It's Jo and Danny [and, before that, Blue Train]. Co-founder of Wales' very highly respected Green Man Festival.

GREG HAVER -- acclaimed record producer who has worked with Manic Street Preachers, Super Furry Animals, Bullet For My Valentine, Mel C, Hot Puppies and many many more.

I will play 5 of the most interesting unsigned recordings that have arrived recently to the panel to see what advice they can offer the bands concerned.

** YOU HAVE UNTIL 10PM ON TUESDAY 14th OCTOBER to get your recordings to me if you would like to participate. **

Regardless of whether you want your music played to the panel, if you have a question for one of our experts, please get in touch.

Want some advice on how to best present yourself to a record label? Huw will have some good advice.

What are the most important things to consider when recording your demo? Greg will have some excellent tips.

How should you go about trying to get on at one the summer's musical festivals? How difficult is it to set up your own? Jo, clearly, has bucket loads of experience in this respect.

HIGH QUALITY .mp3's & YOUR QUESTIONS to: [email protected] please

or, CD's to:

Adam Walton, BBC Radio Wales, Library & Arts Centre, Rhosddu Rd., WREXHAM LL11 1NF

[quote name='Stu-khag' post='316863' date='Oct 28 2008, 05:03 PM']Cardiff's buzz magazine are pretty good at reviewing stuff. They've got quite a big circulation in the wales and west as well. Mind you, their reviews can be pretty brutal if they don't like it!
also check out Adam Walton on BBC radio Wales who plays a huge range of stuff. If its new and from Wales (I see you are based here) theres a good chance he'll play it.

this music round table is closed for now but no doubt he will do more if it works.
here's an email I recieved from him earlier this month

:
On Sunday 26th October 2008 we start a new section of the Sunday night new music show on BBC Radio Wales [10pm - 1am].

A panel drawn from experts within different facets of the Welsh music industry will be coming in to offer their objective and constructive advice on your recordings.

This *IS NOT* a battle of the bands. No one will be a winner, or a loser. This won't be empty, facetious punditry. The aim is to get you, the musicians, some clear advice as to how you can progress.

The experts are:

HUW WILLIAMS -- former singer with the legendary Pooh Sticks; ex-manager of 60ft Dolls, Big Leaves, Novocaine etc. Head honcho of Townhill Records. Helped found the Welsh Music Foundation. Worked as A&R for a number of labels, & Sony / ATV publishing.

JO BARTLETT -- member of It's Jo and Danny [and, before that, Blue Train]. Co-founder of Wales' very highly respected Green Man Festival.

GREG HAVER -- acclaimed record producer who has worked with Manic Street Preachers, Super Furry Animals, Bullet For My Valentine, Mel C, Hot Puppies and many many more.

I will play 5 of the most interesting unsigned recordings that have arrived recently to the panel to see what advice they can offer the bands concerned.

** YOU HAVE UNTIL 10PM ON TUESDAY 14th OCTOBER to get your recordings to me if you would like to participate. **

Regardless of whether you want your music played to the panel, if you have a question for one of our experts, please get in touch.

Want some advice on how to best present yourself to a record label? Huw will have some good advice.

What are the most important things to consider when recording your demo? Greg will have some excellent tips.

How should you go about trying to get on at one the summer's musical festivals? How difficult is it to set up your own? Jo, clearly, has bucket loads of experience in this respect.

HIGH QUALITY .mp3's & YOUR QUESTIONS to: [email protected] please

or, CD's to:

Adam Walton, BBC Radio Wales, Library & Arts Centre, Rhosddu Rd., WREXHAM LL11 1NF[/quote]

Cheers Stu.