Why become a member? ×

Moses necks.... anyone?

The Burpster

I had one on my jaydee jazz bass. It was a bit of a disappointment as it wasn't very stiff and kept flexing with temperature changes, despite having a truss rod. I mated it to a swamp ash body which was also a big mistake as the combination didn't make for a particularly warm sounding instrument. You could try dropping a line to [url="http://www.fibersonixx.com"]Fibresonixx[/url] or Simon Farmer at [url="http://www.gusguitars.com/"]GUS Guitars [/url]as well. You will be looking at about 500 quid for a custom neck.

Unfortunately the Moses website isn't very informative and the only comments I've seen about their necks on Talk Bass have been less than complimentary. The big problem with carbon-fibre construction is that they require a mould, so the set-up costs are much the same whether it's a one-off ore a massive production run. Having said that the Fibresonixx site looks interesting and might just be affordable. AFAIK all the necks that Simon at Gus makes are carbon-fibre skin over wood, which is different to the 'conventional' way that Status etc make.

In addition to Red's post, Simon can make necks using molds or the lay on method over a wooden or epoxy foam core. For one off necks, the lay on method is probably better. If you can't give him a core to use as a master then he will need to produce one for you.

best bet Bob is to get a custom laminated maple neck made with a nice, thick ebony fingerboard and graphite reinforcing. With that fingerboard and sufficiently rigid maple, you would be hard pressed to tell the difference for anything but slap.