Why become a member? ×

Pinky Injury

Tugmonkey

Hi Guys, been lurking a little while now, picked up some great information, good community you have here.

the reason I'm posting is because I recently made the switch from guitar to bass, and as awesome as it's been, I seem to have injured my pinky. I'm now aware that it was definitely a technique issue (had my pinky out straight when using it) I've since been consciously correcting this, but the pain won't budge. every time I open my hand, from the knuckle down on my picky aches. It's not excruciating, but its sore enough to notice. on the underside of my finger where the knuckle is, it feels like there is another knuckle bulging out from underneath, and I don't have the same issue on my other hand. I don't know if this is something that's always been there or not.

Basically looking to see if anyone has ever experienced something similar, and has any advice they'd like to share? the nearest appointment I can get at the doctor is the beginning of march, just before somebody suggests that. I am also having to learn the bands set list for rehearsal next week, so I can't really afford to rest for any significant amount of time.

Sorry for the long post, but hopefully it helps paint a more accurate picture.

Cheers.

What approx age group are you ?
March is your 1st GP appointment. Do you live on a remote Scottish Island ?? That's ridiculous. If i phone this morning 8-9am i get an appointment today. :o

Have you been using your pinky as an anchor point on bridge or pick up. Possibly joint damage if there's like a 2nd knuckle. That could point towards athritis or similar. Joint conditions generaly happen to more mature people but can be seen in younger generation on rare occasions.

My honest opinion and advice is to try and push your GP for a better appointment. Do they not have emergency appointments at short notice. Might be worth asking.
Failing that you could go to A&E and suggest you've damaged it somehow and explain about GP appointment in a month. ??

Without proper examination by a professional its all just guessing really.

Sorry can't help you more :(

Dave

Sorry I wasn't clear. it's my fretting hand, and I'm 25, with no history of joint trouble.

I live in Fife in Scotland, and every GP practice is the same through here, it's a nightmare. I can maybe milk it enough to get an emergency appointment, it's worth a try I suppose. was actually hoping it might have been a common enough issue, that somebody would have a quick fix.

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1486384905' post='3231258']
My advice is not to exacerbate the injury any further by continuing to play. Rest up for a while. Some sort of professional medical advice is required ASAP.

No one here is qualified to to give any other advice.

Hope you get it sorted. :)
[/quote]

Indeed.. But here's some reading :-) http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/hand-pain/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Just tell the doctors it's affecting your livelihood...

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1486386371' post='3231274']
Indeed.. But here's some reading :-) [url="http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/hand-pain/Pages/Introduction.aspx"]http://www.nhs.uk/co...troduction.aspx[/url][/quote]

This would also help the OP...when he gets the OK from the doctor to play again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRkSsapYYsA

GP deffo needs to look at it. "Severe pain in my joint, highly restricted movement, visible swelling and hard mass developing under the joint, severity has got worse over the last few weeks" should be sufficient to get a same day appointment. Phone them and put it in those terms.