Why become a member? ×

Ex bass players.

lee4

I work at a timber merchants,and quite a few of my customers are musicians,both amateur and semi-pro.
So one evening after work,I pulled up at my guitar players house only to find that one of my customers was doing the roof next door.
Hellos were exchanged,and then I got the "whats in the case?"question.So I told him(it was the Status),and he said"Oh yeah,I used to play.
I packed it up about 4 years ago".When asked what he used,he sais"A Musicman.But I sold it."
I was gobsmacked.Sell a MM?The look of regret on his face said it all.He sheepishly admitted that he had to sell it.Had to!A kidney,yes.Or maybe selling your least loved child/sibling/parent for medical experiments.But not a Musicman.
So,tell me your tales from the ex-players book of excuses.

I used to be one!

Early '97 I'd had enough of my band and didn't have the enthusiasm anymore to go and find another. Sold my basses (an MIA P and an MIM P) and amp (Trace Elliot combo) and bought a computer, synth and guitar and spent the next few years trying (and failing) to make music on my own. From there I moved on to engineering and producing music for a couple of friends who were pretty good songwriters.

It was only two or three years ago that I moved house and found that the guy next door was a songwriter and tasty guitarist as well. After a couple of jams with him I was inspired to pick up a bass again. Went out and bought a Warwick, joined a band and am having more fun than ever with music.

• 2 weeks later...

I had some superb basses. A Musicman 3 EQ, a 1976 Fender Precision, a 1973 Fender Telecaster bass and an ESP 400 Jazz bass. Ended up selling all but the ESP as my band had ended, we had no record deal, I was fed up with the music industry and I needed money. Biggest regret is selling my Musicman as it was the nicest bass to play. Did not sound the best, that was the Fender Precision which I recorded most the album with but the Musicman had something special and I miss it like crazy.

Now move on 7 years and I now have an amazing Squire Vintage Modified Fretless Jazz which plays as nice as my Musicman did and sounds superb. I also have a Stagg EUB which is wonderful. Plus I have my ESP still which is a wonderful bass. However, not a day passes where I wish I had my Musicman and I can't shake that monkey off my back. So I have decided that I am going to buy one. Its bugging me to much and I need to get rid of this guilt. Its just a case of deciding to get a Trans Teal like I used to own or go for a newer colour.

[quote name='Linus27' post='316651' date='Oct 28 2008, 01:00 PM']So I have decided that I am going to buy one. Its bugging me to much and I need to get rid of this guilt. Its just a case of deciding to get a Trans Teal like I used to own or go for a newer colour.[/quote]

Don't worry mate!! Great time to get one as they go for so low atm!

I stopped playing for about 2 years & then picked it up again about 5 months ago. I bumped in to quite a few bass players in my time of not playing.