Why become a member? ×

Paul Rodgers Free Spirit Tour

steantval

[quote name='goingdownslow' timestamp='1486586921' post='3233096']

The reason they are 'not quite Kossoff' is their use of effects.
Effects will never give you the sound of Free.
[/quote]

I played bass (SG) in a very well respected Free tribute band a few years ago and we were pretty unique that we also had a keyboard player in the line up, listen to a lot of Free songs and it's surprising how much keyboards are featured on the recordings, Hammond, piano and mellatron.
Our guitarist played through a UK hand built boutique Cornell amp, totally dry with a small touch of reverb.
He played a custom PRS (more versatile) as he didn't particularly like Les Pauls and his sound was vintage Kossoff.
We also had the benefit of having Jeff Rich (ex Status Quo) on the drums.

[quote name='Bbiigg Kev' timestamp='1486584486' post='3233062']
Geoff Whitehorn, nice guy and a fine guitarist !!!
[/quote]

A very nice guy indeed. Saw him at a Marshall clinic years ago at what was Academy of Sound in Norwich (became Sound Control and is now PMT) and our lead guitarist, who I'd tagged along with, had some questions about how to get the best out of his amp. Not only did he give some really good advice but actually have our guitarist his personal phone number in case he had any more questions!
Really liked his playing on the Now album but Jaz Lochrie's tone on that album is one of my favorite recorded bass sounds.

Saw Paul Rodgers at the Ipswich Regent not long after that album came out and was pretty disappointed that it was a different and generally pretty forgettable band playing with him (my overriding memory being the bass player wearing metallic blue spandex trousers and a zebra print spandex vest despite being a bit on the tubby side and this being the late 90s not the mid 80s - did have a nice 5 string Zon though).
I did get to meet and chat to Paul after the gig though and he was a really warm, friendly guy who actually seemed genuinely interested that I played in a band myself. He does have exceedingly small hands though!

Hi Painy,

As we say, Geoff is a decent guy.

I saw him loads of times with Mr Rodgers and on the Marshall tour and I'm guessing the Marshall stuff was approx 20 years ago.
I took my brother along and apart from it being a bit slow for us more experienced players to begin with obviously he covered basics to demo, once you chatted on your own so to speak he was a smashing chap with as we know spent many years touring and recording, I think he was sh*t hot on those Rodgers albums inc Now and the live Lowry tapes CD and other albums, decent line up with Mr Lochrie on the bass.

I also saw him on the Harum live gigs and he stole the show me thinks !!!

Edited by Bbiigg Kev