Why become a member? ×

Flatwound Strings for Super Short Scale

therealting

So I have a Samick MCR1 bass lying around, a very cool little P with a 24 3/4" scale. I'd love to put some flats on it, but don't know which ones would possibly fit.

My favourite flats on long scale are Fender 9050Ls (I have them on my Fender 61 P and my Yamaha Attitude Special) and D'Addario Chromes (I have them on my Dingwall Super P5)... not such a fan of the thumpier ones like the TI Jazz Flats (which I have on my Bravewood 56 P) or Pyramid Golds.

Any recommendations? I know using long scale flats on a short scale can sometimes result in breakage.

Edited by therealting

• 1 year later...

The RotoSSound77s ring sharp initially so can't recommend them I am also looking for a good flatwound for my Ibanez Mikro Bass 28.6", 726mm scale length; Scott Whitley writes about strings on his shortscalebass.co.uk web site

D'Addario do short scale Chromes as well - the ECB81S. I bought them online in error once, but chucked them on a shorty P bass and they sound great! Subtle of course but with a nice voicing, not just a dull whump.

Dunno how well they would fit a 25" scale though... That's 5 inches shorter than my short scale, and I don't remember having loads of excess silk before the pegs.