Why become a member? ×

Rosewood

Thunderpaws

Just watching a couple of videos from the NAMM show and it's mentioned a lot that Rosewood isn't being used anymore...lots of manufacturers using Ebony instead.

So, is Rosewood banned now for musical instruments?

Does Ebony grow more or faster than Rosewood?

Are Rosewood guitars worth more now?

What other alternatives are there for Rosewood?

It seems CITES are getting concerned about the scarcity of the wood

https://www.namm.org/issues-and-advocacy/regulatory-compliance/cites-update-action-rosewood-has-broad

It would imagine the result will be a bigger move to ebanol. Certainly Harley Benton are moving to the material.

Yes, CITES have introduced new legislation protecting all Rosewood species. Meaning if you now sell a guitar or bass with a Rosewood fretboard outside the EU, or across states if you're in America you'll need to apply for a permit. Buying a bass within the U.K./EU will remain the same.

I believe one of the reasons they did this was to protect Brazilian Rosewood (approaching extinction) as Indian Rosewood (the species most fretboards are made of these days) is actually very sustainable and one of the worlds most planted trees. They grow quickly too. But rather than further protect Brazilian Rosewood (which was already restricted) they have covered all species, as I suppose one species was being passed off as the other.

I hope we will not see a great increase in the use of Ebony, as this is currently way more endangered than Indian Rosewood ever will be. So if that happens they will introduce restrictions on Ebony also.

I doubt instruments with Rosewood fretboards will become any more sought after...possibly the opposite.

Edited by Manton Customs