Why become a member? ×

Wem bass

bottomfeed

[quote name='bottomfeed' post='33101' date='Jul 17 2007, 03:37 PM']hi josh!..... how r u getting on? :huh:[/quote]

Better than ever man!

And trust me on this one, I'm not the bassist I was when you were teaching me, I'm basically a slave to the groove which was and is your main principle and it influenced me big time, and since you last saw me I've gone at least 3 high end basses which have all taken my playing further and since getting my Warwick I feel so comfortable in the pocket!

But I'll say this, it would've been nice to have a Bassist teach me Grade 8 bass :)

[quote name='Josh' post='33110' date='Jul 17 2007, 03:55 PM']Better than ever man!

And trust me on this one, I'm not the bassist I was when you were teaching me, I'm basically a slave to the groove which was and is your main principle and it influenced me big time, and since you last saw me I've gone at least 3 high end basses which have all taken my playing further and since getting my Warwick I feel so comfortable in the pocket!

But I'll say this, it would've been nice to have a Bassist teach me Grade 8 bass :)[/quote]
Did u end up with Chris or Jules ?

.....didn't wanna stay at Bridgy! ...other work came up with less red tape involved... (& better dosh!)

Good to hear u lovin' the groove!.... "everythang is on the ONE!" .... u knows it make sense! :huh:
let us know of any gigs u doin', dude...

[quote name='bottomfeed' post='33388' date='Jul 18 2007, 01:04 AM']Did u end up with Chris or Jules ?

.....didn't wanna stay at Bridgy! ...other work came up with less red tape involved... (& better dosh!)

Good to hear u lovin' the groove!.... "everythang is on the ONE!" .... u knows it make sense! :)
let us know of any gigs u doin', dude...[/quote]

Had Jules in the end so it was mildly bareable, if I was given Chris as I told you I just would walk out of his lesson.

It sucked that you didn't coem back, I had told all the enw bassists coming on the course to look foward to having lessons with you and for us to find out you weren't coming back did russtle some feathers.

"...Ain't nothing but a party baby" got to love Bootsy! And when I eventually find the band I'm after and we ever get gigging then you'll be one of the first to know man!

[quote name='Bassassin' post='32172' date='Jul 15 2007, 07:24 PM']I think Bottomfeed's student's bass probably has a neck from something else. The bridge looks different, too - possibly repositioned to accommodate a longer scale.

J.[/quote]

I think his bass is actually stock.

If you go to the [url="http://www.watkinsguitars.co.uk/othersolids.htm"]Other Guitars page[/url] and scroll halfway down, there's a 12 string Emerald there with the same styling, headstock and all. Then if you go to the bottom of the page there are pictures of some guitars badged 'Espana', which they think [i]may[/i] be rebadged WEM. There's a bass there that is identical to bottomfeed's, bar the logo and a bridge cover.

[quote name='bottomfeed' post='31753' date='Jul 14 2007, 01:48 PM']A student of mine has this wem bass..... anyone ever seen one before?.... got any info ?
sorry the pix are a bit sh*te!
[/quote]

[quote name='Musky' post='34050' date='Jul 19 2007, 11:06 AM']I think his bass is actually stock.

If you go to the [url="http://www.watkinsguitars.co.uk/othersolids.htm"]Other Guitars page[/url] and scroll halfway down, there's a 12 string Emerald there with the same styling, headstock and all. Then if you go to the bottom of the page there are pictures of some guitars badged 'Espana', which they think [i]may[/i] be rebadged WEM. There's a bass there that is identical to bottomfeed's, bar the logo and a bridge cover.[/quote]
Well, there it is.... that's pretty close...

Thanx 4 that Musky

& Happy Jack's "curly lead emporium" does transparent!.... YAY!

Hi all,
I don't have any specifics about a WEM bass but I did interview Charlie Watkins a few years ago but never published it. Whilst at his house I photographed a WEM guitar (or bass). I'll try and find the pic. If I've still got the interview on a disk I'll put it up on a suitable area of Basschat. It's more to do with his experiences in the music business in the 60's and 70's providing sound systems for venues and the early festivals but some may find it interesting.

Geejay

[quote name='Geejay' post='34072' date='Jul 19 2007, 12:16 PM']Hi all,
I don't have any specifics about a WEM bass but I did interview Charlie Watkins a few years ago but never published it. Whilst at his house I photographed a WEM guitar (or bass). I'll try and find the pic. If I've still got the interview on a disk I'll put it up on a suitable area of Basschat. It's more to do with his experiences in the music business in the 60's and 70's providing sound systems for venues and the early festivals but some may find it interesting.

Geejay[/quote]
sounds pretty interesting..... gis a look?!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='bottomfeed' post='34800' date='Jul 20 2007, 04:55 PM']sounds pretty interesting..... gis a look?![/quote]

I've found the pics. I took slides as was hoping to publish. Unfortunately I'll have to dig out my slide scanner to put the pics up. Two guitars and one bass.

Geejay

I have a Watkins Wilson Super 6

[url="http://img145.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=19276_IMGP0700_122_875lo.JPG"][/url]

I wrote to Reg Godwin, who runs that web site, and he said that it resembles a Watkins bass that he had recently sold. He said that they would have made a good pair.

• 7 months later...

I can tell you of some of it's Parts..

The knobs, pick guard and finish are Jim Burns of Burns of London,
which makes sense as these people were the center of the universe
for Guitars in England - swapped materials, workers, sub'd out work etc.

Pick guard is a mildly modded Burns Jazz Guitar / Bass item - which of,
depends on how big this body is.. looks like the 6 string guitar version from the pix.

Body is a 'shaved horn' version of Burns' Split Sound Jazz Guitar.

Knobs are the same as my '63 Burns of London Jazz Bass.

Jack is the same as my '63 Burns Jazz Bass.

Finish is the same - should be a Polyester item, the pattern / shadings are the same.

That headstock hearkens back to SUPRO in the 50s.

No idea on the pick ups or other chrome hardware.

The name is carved on the pick guard in the same place Burns & later Ampeg
had theirs.