Why become a member? ×

Hollow Body Recomendations - Gretsch Broadkaster?

spiltmilk_2000

So, I love the look of these and could quite fancy one but can only find sellers online... Its a lot of money to take a punt without playing especally when guitarist friends of mine who play Gretsches tell me build quality can be very hit and miss...

So, anyone own one? or even played one? Whats the verdict??

What about the epiphone jack cassady hollow body? any thoughts on this?? Is it a good substitute for the early 60's EB2 which i'll never be able to afford?? :)

Thanks in advance for you help!

Not played either of the above but I do have an Ovation Viper which is a hollow body.

With patience and playing around abit with stings etc you can obtain a truly wonderful tone.

I guess they are Marmite basses..... (you know what I mean)

Sadly the only way you'll find out if YOU like them is for YOU to try one.....

All with the IMHO caveat of course..... :)

[quote name='spiltmilk_2000' post='308053' date='Oct 16 2008, 05:58 PM']So, I love the look of these and could quite fancy one but can only find sellers online... Its a lot of money to take a punt without playing especally when guitarist friends of mine who play Gretsches tell me build quality can be very hit and miss...

So, anyone own one? or even played one? Whats the verdict??

What about the epiphone jack cassady hollow body? any thoughts on this?? Is it a good substitute for the early 60's EB2 which i'll never be able to afford?? :)

Thanks in advance for you help![/quote]

I've just swapped my Gretsch Thunderjet but i can say that the build quality of the Professional Series basses seems to be very high in my experience. I have heard that the lower budget models quality can be a bit hit and miss however. I still have an Ibanez AGB200 holowbody and i love the tones that can be got from it, perhaps you should try something cheap like this or the Casady...maybe even the Epiphone allen woody.

[quote name='evilLordJuju' post='308324' date='Oct 17 2008, 06:00 AM']have you thought about a Harmony H22? I love 'em. Cheapish (especially if you import)
The Jack Cassidy is not really much like an EB2 - no real boom, a bit too refined (It was a copy of the Les Paul Signature bass) with its variable impedence pickup and switching.[/quote]

Thanks all... It was a friends old EB2 which first gave me a craving for hollow a hollowbody in my arsenal... As you can probably tell i havent done my research in this area though. Would you say the Harmony H22 is one of the closest i'll get to an EB2 for tone / feel / look? I guess maybe i should just save up for the real mccoy!

I wish Gisbson would reissue the the EB2 :)

Have you tried looking at the Epiphone Rivoli? It was basically identical to the EB2 bar the headstock shape. The dearmond Starfire is another semi in a similar vein that might be worth looking at. Both discontinued now, so you'd have to scout around for one.

[quote name='spiltmilk_2000' post='308418' date='Oct 17 2008, 10:34 AM']Thanks all... It was a friends old EB2 which first gave me a craving for hollow a hollowbody in my arsenal... As you can probably tell i havent done my research in this area though. Would you say the Harmony H22 is one of the closest i'll get to an EB2 for tone / feel / look? I guess maybe i should just save up for the real mccoy!

I wish Gisbson would reissue the the EB2 :)[/quote]

The H22 has some good features and some bad.
Yes you get the fantastic bassiness of the EB2, but the tuning keys are awful.

If you shop around you can probably score one for $500 or so from the states.

Here are a few things to listen too - not the best examples of anyones work, but all feature an H22 played basically as they are
[url="http://www.vintageguitars.org.uk/H22pt2.php"]Harmony H22[/url] played into my computer sound card - no amp
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcEEowLytrs"]Small Faces[/url] live - not their best performance, but one of the few not mimed
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpVGXcblBhg"]Spencer Davis group[/url] live - not their best performance either, but one of the few not mimed

Harmony also made the two pickup H27, but these don't have the bassiness of the H22

The Epiphone Rivolis put out in the late 90s may be an affordable option for you (and if you buy an old Gibson EB humbucker for £80 on ebay will be almost indistinguishable sonically from an original)

The hollow body was an important part of the sound, but the overwound EB humbuckers probably had more to do with it. The Jack Cassidy simply doesn't have this.

Quick plug - Check out my band, the [url="http://www.myspace.com/thesilverbrazilians"]Silver Brazilians[/url].... I use an EB2 on two tracks on our myspace page - i'm gonna kill you, and Iraqdonalds

Edited by evilLordJuju