Why become a member? ×

Stuck in the Middle With You

stevie

I'm struggling to get an accurate transcription of this Steeler's Wheel bass line. There are some on the web, but they are only approximations. There is one guy on YouTube who has nailed it, but I'm having a problem picking it up from that. If anyone has transcribed it (not tab), I'd be very grateful for a copy. Thanks in advance.

I've now found something that seems reasonably close. Perhaps one of our pro players might like to have a look at it, as I have a feeling it's not perfect. I'm sure one or two of you will find this useful, as it's a really tricky line to figure out.

just a note on finger positioning...when I play it, it may not be perfect but it's damn close to the original and I find it easiest to play the main riff in 2nd position. I know it's a bit of a stretch but i find it sounds better and it loosens up my hand nicely for the rest of the set.

I'm prepared for the flaming re. using finger-per-fret up close to the nut, but it's not caused me any troubles...merely a suggestion on this ace song.

Edited by phil_the_bassist

[quote name='phil_the_bassist' post='307434' date='Oct 15 2008, 10:21 PM']just a note on finger positioning...when I play it, it may not be perfect but it's damn close to the original and I find it easiest to play the main riff in 2nd position. I know it's a bit of a stretch but i find it sounds better and it loosens up my hand nicely for the rest of the set.

I'm prepared for the flaming re. using finger-per-fret up close to the nut, but it's not caused me any troubles...merely a suggestion on this ace song.[/quote]

I'm playing the open E and A, but the D at the fifth fret on the A string, because it needs to be choked. I don't need to stretch at all.

By the way, here is the guy on YouTube really doing it justice.

[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Tm4YHpJjjUA"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Tm4YHpJjjUA[/url]

Edited by stevie

[quote name='phil_the_bassist' post='307434' date='Oct 15 2008, 10:21 PM']just a note on finger positioning...when I play it, it may not be perfect but it's damn close to the original and I find it easiest to play the main riff in 2nd position. I know it's a bit of a stretch but i find it sounds better and it loosens up my hand nicely for the rest of the set.

I'm prepared for the flaming re. using finger-per-fret up close to the nut, but it's not caused me any troubles...merely a suggestion on this ace song.[/quote]
Flame!!

Nope. I do the same as you actually :)

[quote name='Merton' post='307852' date='Oct 16 2008, 01:23 PM']Flame!!

Nope. I do the same as you actually :)[/quote]

My hands are not big enough to stretch, but the open A sounds all right to me. I just tried hammering onto the F sharp in the main riff, which also makes it easier to play.

[quote name='stevie' post='307893' date='Oct 16 2008, 02:12 PM']My hands are not big enough to stretch, but the open A sounds all right to me. I just tried hammering onto the F sharp in the main riff, which also makes it easier to play.[/quote]
Fair play. There's no "correct way" IMO, everyone plays things slightly differently. Interestingly I use the open A at the chorus. Not sure why, I just do.

Edited by Merton