Why become a member? ×

New to bass Guitar - Advice for buying a used bass privately

Numerov

[color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]
Hello[/size][/font][/color]
I have the opportunity to buy a Squier Standard Precision Special (PJ bass with Jazz neck) second hand.[/size][/font][/color][color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]
It is a private sale and I will be going to the seller's home.[/size][/font][/color]
Please tell me what checks I would be able to make in that situation to make sure the instrument is ok.[/size][/font][/color]
Thank you[/size][/font][/color]
Numerov[/size][/font][/color]

+1 to both of the above. I'd add to that to take as much of your usual stuff as you will be using with it - picks, strap, FX boxes, even your amp - you don't need to know what it sounds or feels like in the seller's setting, you need to find out what it's like in yours. If you normally play standing up then play it standing up.

As a very short list of things to check for:

1. make sure you try it plugged in - what does it sound like? do the all the knobs work properly, no crackles, and the tone on the bass is what you want

2. is it comfortable to play? Action isn't too high/neck isn't warped/no fret buzz or dead spots (play all the strings on all the frets to check)

3. Have a good look for cosmetic stuff - chips in the neck or body, mis-matched tuners, that massive crack in the headstock, etc. Is the condition reflected in the price? have a look on t'internet to get an idea of what the second hand price is for one in good, bad and middling condition.

These may not be terminal problems, depending on your confidence in doing a set up to fix them, but if you're not confident then these could be yes/no buying points.

CHECK THAT THE TRUSS ROD WORKS BOTH WAYS

amazed no one mentioned it, it is the MOST important thing to check. Electronics can be replaced/fixed easily. A broken truss rod is a broken neck, period.

If you have a set of allen keys, take em as the seller may not have the right tool or may pretend not to to prevent you discovering the broken trussrod :)

Edited by bazztard