Why become a member? ×

Thumb support

JPJ

Anybody suffer with a painful thumb joint on your fretting hand? Lately, I'm beginning to suffer with mine (the big joint at the base of the thumb) and the feeling is like an instability in the joint which gives me sharp stabbing type pain when my hand is in a certain position.

I've found taping the joint (like a boxer) helps, so have been considering buying a support bandage. I am allergic to some of the neoprene type joint supports, so really need something that is cloth based. Is anyone else having similar problems or have a solution?

You are obviously strangling the neck of the bass when you fret. Keep the hand relaxed. The thumb's role is to merely [i]support [/i]the fingers. Now and then as a short exercise, try fretting [u]without[/u]
having the thumb on the back of the neck. This will show just how little pressure is required to fret.

Rest up from playing for a few days to allow the thumb to heal, then proceed as above.

Edited by Coilte

When I first started playing my thumb used to cramp up, the tendons would spasm and pull my thumb into my palm. No pain, just a thumb that wouldn't move until the tendons relaxed. I just had to remember to not press my thumb against the back of the neck so hard.

I just had to check what i actually do with my fretting thumb, and it turns out that i dont press at all. I just mrerely rest it on the back of the neck, so there's virtually no pressure at all

Funny thing, i've had the OP's problem in the back of my hand , which i assume is tendon, from the little finger to the wrist, and it sometimes becomes painful, and i've found that most times,
if i bend all fingers backwards with my other hand till i hear a faint crack, that this sorts it.

I guess the little finger is weaker than the others, and as I occasionally use the little finger ( and the 3rd ring finger too ) at times, i guess i'm creating a problem in that area