Why become a member? ×

Strings..

Pissman

[quote name='Pissman' post='305616' date='Oct 13 2008, 04:55 PM']Just wondering how often strings should be changed, and how do you tell when they need it? I only realy play in my room, not in any serious band right now, so would restringing make a noticable difference to me? Thanks :)[/quote]

It might be worth changing them once after about six months, so that you can appreciate the difference between new strings and old. And it might also be worth trying a few different gauges and types, so that you can get an idea of what works for you. But on the whole, I'd be tempted to say: don't bother. Save your money.

S.P.

When I'm gigging regularly (which I'm sadly not at the moment), I change mine about once a month. I like the sound of new strings though, whereas some people like 'em old and battered, and some great records have been made with clunky dead old bass strings.

I guess it's a matter of taste really, of what kind of sound you like. And how skint you are. That's why I haven't done mine for ages :) If you're not out and about gigging or recording, it's probably not crucial to do them all the time anyway.

some players like the dull thud of an old set of strings, some like the 'zing' of a new pair. Horses for courses and all that. [i]But [/i]if you start to notice deadspots or have problems staying in tune, or are ripping your fingers to shreds, it might be worth changing.