Why become a member? ×

La Bella strings

bassbora

I am looking for some thoughts on some strings. I have used D'Addarios for over 20 years on my 4 and 5 strings fretted. I had tried a lot of brands and I was never really happy until I found D'Addario. 5 or 6 years ago I bought a 6 string fretless which I have used a lot and the guy said it had La Bella strings on it (I can't remember which ones) but I really liked them. It felt the match with the fretless was perfect and they have lasted all these years, multiple practices and gigs. So I thought I would treat myself to a new set and went on stringsdirect and for a 6 string set they are £60 or £70 depending on light or medium set.

Its almost double what I am used to paying so my question is to you are they worth it? And if so what are people's thoughts on light set vs medium?

I found a message from the guy and he said it was labella slappers light gauge. So that solves that mystery for me.

I still though wondering about the price. Why are they so expensive??? I did find a set on bassstringsonline.com, its not the same set I saw on stringsdirect but its $21. Is this just UK prices vs USA that we have been seeing or what?

Slappers aren't part of the range any more. I think you need the nickel plated strings - the closest set is SN42-CB (29/40//60/80/100/128).

That said, I just found Slappers [url="http://thebassgallery.com/index.php/strings/hard-rocking-steel-slappers-6-string-4489.html"]here[/url] for £41 a set

Thanks for this guys. I will check out the strings at the Gallery.

The strings from stringdirect Vapor Shield Nickel Plated set. Has anyone had any experience with these?

When playing fretless I have a very soft touch and strings last me forever. I hate to say that is not the case when I play fretted in a gig situation. I guess most of us start to dig in play harder then.

• 2 weeks later...