Why become a member? ×

John Mayer's 'Where the Light Is'

Sibob

I've just taken delivery of Mayer's 'Where The Light Is' DVD, for those who don't know it is a live show, complete with a 5 song acoustic 'support' set from him, a Trio set and a full band set.

The acoustic and band sets are fantastic, but the Trio stuff is amazing, never wanted to pick up my Precision more! Pino is a star and really plays with restraint and taste (when has he not!!)

Anyway, thought I'd vaguely recommend it to people if they haven't heard of it before!
There are some interview and backstage segments where Mayer talks a little bit of rubbish here and there, but there's no denying the man writes some pretty awesome music!

Si

Edited by Sibob

Yeah I've had this a while. To be fair at first I wasn't impressed with the trio mix as Pino was somewhat lost with his sig bass, but then when he used the 'burst at the end it sounded much better to my ears, so I'm guessing that's a tone issue so is a personal choice, but surprising nonetheless. I think when he plays with his thumb and mutes he gets the most convincing upright tone I've heard from a solid body. David Labruyere's playing is great too on the full band stuff and a much better sound/mix. Interesting that he was using a J but on the Continuum DVD he used a P. I like the in between bits, but that tiny dog is just not rock and roll!

• 4 months later...

At the moment I'm digging into Mayer's - Belief (that's the pre-last song on Where The Light is DVD)..

Question - is Pino using some sort of octaver there? ;)

Cuz I'm a bit confused - it sounds like he's playing octaves sometimes and, at the end, dropping in the main function octave [i]lower[/i], just from nowhere.. Or my ears are simply tired enough. But I doubt it.

So, guys?

Cheers,
Faith.

Edited by Faithless