Why become a member? ×

Thinking of up-grading my amp-----

gypsyjazzer

Have a look for the thread on Talkbass about the Rumble, it is quite helpful. There are varying opinions. It is obviously not an Acoustic Image but doesn't pretend to be. My main concern was the weight factor, the first time I picked one up I had to have one and went from there. My 5 year old Granddaughter can lift it! They are intended for electric bass but don't let that stop you. Quite a few players use the smaller Markbass combos (again electric bass amps) and make them work. (As for Birelli, he won't remember me, but I certainly remember him. It was years ago and a time when visiting players to London picked up local players for gigs/tours, I was one of the few younger players who knew that music a bit, Birelli was a boy !!! The most inspirational though were the Ferre Bros, Boulou and Elios, with whom I did quite a few dates. In those days most of the Hot Club music was organised by Ian Cruikshank and Diz Disley and there was a lot of work around. I think we as bass players could learn a lot from players like Lagrene and the Ferre's because of their open minded approach. Birelli will play Hot Club music on a Strat style guitar, Boulou will play free form on a Selmer. It is all just music to them).

I had a Vox Foundation. 18" cab (weighed a ton and no handles! How did that get past the design team!!) and 50 watt amp, which caught fire in the studio on my very first recording session!

IMO On the gear front, these are far happier days.

I would suggest a quality 112 cab and a good 350 watt amp, but If you want to go lighter than the GK then rather than breaking the bank, I'd look at the Barefaced One10 and an Aguilar TH350 or maybe a GK MB200 amp.