Why become a member? ×

Ian Parker gigs

Steve A

Hi everyone,

Please check out the gig list on my myspace page to check out gig dates for Ian parker, the artist I play for, as we have a couple of UK dates at the end of October and a UK tour in November. It would be good to see any basschatters if we're in your area. Come and say hello.

[url="http://myspace.com/steveamadeomusic"]http://myspace.com/steveamadeomusic[/url]

All the best,

Steve

I don't think I can make it to the Abbeye de Neumunster :)

The Bull & Butcher in Whetstone is a bit closer to home though - one of Pete Feenstra's venues (he's an 'acquaintance' of mine from the Torrington days).

I'm liking "Your Love" - some cool girlie singing at the end :huh:

Edited by molan

[quote name='molan' post='304758' date='Oct 12 2008, 12:24 PM']I don't think I can make it to the Abbeye de Neumunster :)

The Bull & Butcher in Whetstone is a bit closer to home though - one of Pete Feenstra's venues (he's an 'acquaintance' of mine from the Torrington days).

I'm liking "Your Love" - some cool girlie singing at the end :huh:[/quote]

I'm a "veteran" from the Torrington days too.

Does Mr Feenstra actually actively [b]PROMOTE[/b] his gigs nowadays? :huh: :unsure:

He always seemed to have "just missed the deadline for the press ads" whenever we worked "with" him. :huh:

[quote name='bassicinstinct' post='304873' date='Oct 12 2008, 04:06 PM']I'm a "veteran" from the Torrington days too.

Does Mr Feenstra actually actively [b]PROMOTE[/b] his gigs nowadays? :huh: :huh:

He always seemed to have "just missed the deadline for the press ads" whenever we worked "with" him. :)[/quote]

I can't speak for any one promoter in particular but that kind of thing is typical on the blues circuit... which is one of many reasons why the gigs are so poorly attended in this country.

[quote name='funkmunky' post='304875' date='Oct 12 2008, 04:13 PM']I can't speak for any one promoter in particular but that kind of thing is typical on the blues circuit... which is one of many reasons why the gigs are so poorly attended in this country.[/quote]

+1.

I think the majority of "promoters" I've worked with should be prosecuted for breaching Trades Descritpion legislation. :huh: :huh:

I'll never get my head round the concept that they'd rather sit at the gig and moan that the band haven't managed to draw sufficient punters when the chances are that very few people even know that the show is happening at all.

It's truly a conundrum wrapped in an enigma. :) :huh:

[quote name='bassicinstinct' post='304873' date='Oct 12 2008, 04:06 PM']I'm a "veteran" from the Torrington days too.

Does Mr Feenstra actually actively [b]PROMOTE[/b] his gigs nowadays? :huh: :huh:

He always seemed to have "just missed the deadline for the press ads" whenever we worked "with" him. :)[/quote]

I haven't seen a huge amount of press promotion but the web has helped a lot in as much as the weekly newsletters for each venue have lots of details and seem to go out on time.

Funnily enough I did once offer to get involved in the local promotion for the Torrington but never really heard anything back.

Who did you play for at the Torry - maybe I've seen you playing?

Very late 90's up to September 2002 with The Danny Steel Orchestra (Steely Dan Tribute, surprisingly enough).

You'd know if you'd seen us I think as there were between 10 and 13 of us on (or at least around!!) the stage, depending on the night. :) :huh:

I think the other "Feenstra venus" we used to do were the Worcester Park and the Rayners Arms?

On the other hand, I could be completely wrong on both counts.

[quote name='bassicinstinct' post='304907' date='Oct 12 2008, 05:28 PM']Very late 90's up to September 2002 with The Danny Steel Orchestra (Steely Dan Tribute, surprisingly enough).

You'd know if you'd seen us I think as there were between 10 and 13 of us on (or at least around!!) the stage, depending on the night. :huh: :huh:

I think the other "Feenstra venus" we used to do were the Worcester Park and the Rayners Arms?

On the other hand, I could be completely wrong on both counts.[/quote]

Yep - I remember Danny Steel, I seem to recall a string section?

God knows how you fitted on tot he stage at the Torry :)

I know the Rayners was one of Pete's, awful venue, nearly always half empty, saw both Paul Lamb & Connie Lush perform to about 20 people.

Had some vaguely funny evenings there, once saw Viva Santana & more than half the audience were from the Thursday night salsa dancing classes, all in full frills & lace but only one guy - the dance teacher (quaite a lucky guy as a few of the girls were looking pretty good!). Very surreal at times!

Pretty sure the Worcester Park was one of his as well.

[quote name='Mickeyboro' post='304931' date='Oct 12 2008, 06:06 PM']Pete does Sutton United now.

I would not fancy being a promoter in the current climate - I think he does an all right job.

M[/quote]

I've got a lot of time for Pete really. He loves his music & does put a lot of effort into trying to run 5-6 venues.

Biggest problem is that his timing & priorities sometime seem a bit misplaced, a bit more organisation & I always thought he could have added a lot more people to each gig. I'm only basing this on the Torry though as that was my 'local' for many years.

[quote name='molan' post='304934' date='Oct 12 2008, 06:10 PM']Yep - I remember Danny Steel, I seem to recall a string section?

God knows how you fitted on tot he stage at the Torry :huh:

I know the Rayners was one of Pete's, awful venue, nearly always half empty, saw both Paul Lamb & Connie Lush perform to about 20 people.

Had some vaguely funny evenings there, once saw Viva Santana & more than half the audience were from the Thursday night salsa dancing classes, all in full frills & lace but only one guy - the dance teacher (quaite a lucky guy as a few of the girls were looking pretty good!). Very surreal at times!

Pretty sure the Worcester Park was one of his as well.[/quote]

No string section. 3 - 5 piece brass section though. :huh:

We never actually all fitted [b]ON[/b] the stage, just in it's general vicinity really. :unsure: :lol:

I wouldn't want to be a promoter now either (or much else for that matter?), but I think it's fair to say that things were a little different then, unless my failing memory is playing evil tricks on me. :) :huh:

[quote name='bassicinstinct' post='304961' date='Oct 12 2008, 07:03 PM']No string section. 3 - 5 piece brass section though. :)

We never actually all fitted [b]ON[/b] the stage, just in it's general vicinity really. :huh: :huh:[/quote]

I seem to remember the horns (which I mistook for strings) and maybe a girl vocalist, or even two, hanging off the side of the stage :huh:

I just found some pics from a gig when we played at the Torrington, didn't even know I had these!

It was my 40th birthday I think (which is why I was allowed to wear a different coloured shirt than the usual 'all black' gear, lol).

I think we were a 9-10 piece at the time so no money for us either :)

Edited by molan

[quote name='molan' post='305057' date='Oct 12 2008, 09:51 PM']I just found some pics from a gig when we played at the Torrington, didn't even know I had these!

It was my 40th birthday I think (which is why I was allowed to wear a different coloured shirt than the usual 'all black' gear, lol).

I think we were a 9-10 piece at the time so no money for us either :)[/quote]

Nice shirt :unsure:

You'd only have squandered the money on food and drink. :huh:

Thinking about it, if you mistook our horn section for a string section, isn't that something of an indictment of our sound guy? :huh: :huh:

Edited by bassicinstinct

[quote name='bassicinstinct' post='305584' date='Oct 13 2008, 04:09 PM']Nice shirt :huh:

You'd only have squandered the money on food and drink. :)

Thinking about it, if you mistook our horn section for a string section, isn't that something of an indictment of our sound guy? :huh: :huh:[/quote]

More likely the house PA - I've run that desk before & it was full of dodgy wiring. I seem to remember an odd 3 monitor system on one channel & a single one on the other side. i was always afraid of the nasty mis-matched impedances!

[quote name='molan' post='305592' date='Oct 13 2008, 04:25 PM']More likely the house PA - I've run that desk before & it was full of dodgy wiring. I seem to remember an odd 3 monitor system on one channel & a single one on the other side. i was always afraid of the nasty mis-matched impedances![/quote]

I shall bow gracefully to your infinitely superior memory/recall. :) :huh: