Why become a member? ×

Hi Everybody!

BioBiro

A nice chap in another thread asked me to introduce myself, so here we go. I'm 19, and I've been playing keys for more years than I can remember, but about a year and a half ago I started playing air-bass, and decided it might be wise to invest in a bass guitar. I always loved the sound of fretless bass's, but a guitar-playing friend advised me to buy a fretted bass to start with - so out of the store I went with my shiny new Tanglewood Rebel 4K. After a year or so of playing this thing, I got fed up with the lack of fretlessness and got a Stanley knife and prized all the frets out of it (but never filled in the slots because i'm lazy).

Long story short, sometime later I screwed the thing up by trying to convert it into a 5 string, and eventually bought a bizzare 70's-made Japanese copy (made by Antoria!) of a fretless P-Bass, which weighs an absolute ton, and has a beautiful natural wood body. In the future I wood like to put a Jazz pickup in at the bridge for more of the 'mwah' sound lower down. Yesterday I ordered a MIM Fender Jazz Bass which i'm picking up on Monday. Unfortunately i've got my driving test on Saturday, so if I pass then it's a present well earned, if not, then it'll cheer me up for failing. Either way i'm excited!

Happy to be here,

Steve.

[quote name='BassManKev' post='305805' date='Oct 13 2008, 09:25 PM']how the driving test go mate?? and more importantly, hows the bass? :huh:[/quote]

Thanks for asking - I passed! :)

The Jazz Bass is awesome, my fingers hurt a bit already having been playing flatwounds for so long. I think it's improved my slap technique noticabley in just the 2 days that i've had it...

[quote name='AndyMartin' post='305201' date='Oct 13 2008, 08:43 AM']Ah. Air bass.

So much cooler than air guitar.

Welcome to BC.

:)[/quote]

I always play air bass with an air plectrum yet I only ever play fingerstyle normally - curiouser and curioser