Why become a member? ×

Fender 1976 jazz bass , good deal ?

JimboJim

Hi guys,

I was bidding for this fender 1976 bass but didn't win it, it has gone for 1500 gbp.

Do you think that it was a great deal considering the condition of this bass ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-Jazz-Bass-Guitar-1976-/162226224029?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=iAjS357YudItb9lgjtSijsaxsFg%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I looked at this but there didn't seem to be a serial number present and the strings looked strange in relation to the neck - bridge out of alignment perhaps? You probably didn't miss much especially at that price - maybe a bitsa.

I'm not an expert but the headstock looks wrong to me, I've had a couple of 70's Js and I don't remember the D string tuner being as tight to the bottom of the headstock as that one shows, also the alignment of the decal looks wrong to me and the bullet adjuster seems to stick out way too far?

Could be my old eyes using the mobile app though - looks a nice bass at a quick glance.

Seems to have been relisted. Everything looks legit to me on the listing that's there now...

Neck pocket and neck stamps look good. Serial number on the back of the scratchplate.

76 decals were all over the place, it's well known. At the £1300 starting price it's at now, I'd call it a bit of a bargain. Have a look what they're asking for mid 70's Fenders in the London shops.

If I was considering buying (I'm not, I have a 75 that's essentially the same) I'd ask for a close up pic of the pickup serial numbers, and the pot codes. This will date everything you need to know and you can buy without worry or walk away fully informed.

HTH.

Edited by LewisK1975

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1476280638' post='3152983']
Seems to have been relisted. Everything looks legit to me on the listing that's there now...

Neck pocket and neck stamps look good. Serial number on the back of the scratchplate.

76 decals were all over the place, it's well known. At the £1300 starting price it's at now, I'd call it a bit of a bargain. Have a look what they're asking for mid 70's Fenders in the London shops.

If I was considering buying (I'm not, I have a 75 that's essentially the same) I'd ask for a close up pic of the pickup serial numbers, and the pot codes. This will date everything you need to know and you can buy without worry or walk away fully informed.

HTH.
[/quote]

what about the strings being out of line with the neck - that really worries me!

[quote name='dyerseve' timestamp='1476281226' post='3152990']
what about the strings being out of line with the neck - that really worries me!
[/quote]

If you look at the last couple of pictures, the alignment is OK. My best guess would be that he took those pictures after re-attaching the neck and lining it up properly. It's a 3-bolt neck, they can and do move a bit.

I still think the backplate is wrong or a replacement - serial numbers in later 70s basses were often on stickers behind the scratchplate or in the neck pocket but they should match the headstock serial. My thoughts are that the bass is a 'bitsa' made from genuine Fender parts or possibly the backplate has been replaced - the neck has the earlier larger pre '76 decal on the headstock. If it plays well and doesn't weigh a ton it could be a reasonable buy.