Why become a member? ×

G&L

JamesBass

I think what I'm after in terms of tone is a bit more bass.

I've been playing a lot of slap over the last year and rightly or wrongly I've got it in my head that a PJ might sound a bit more punchy than my current set up.

I've played a couple of Yamaha BB's recently and they seem to have the sound I've been looking for, on the other hand they're heavy and not particularly aesthetically pleasing whereas the G&L is a very good looking bass and looks like it might be a bit lighter.

Cheers again for everyone's advice and I will definitely try a few G&Ls but at the moment I'm swaying towards a Yamaha.

Edited by Cato

[quote name='DBerriff' timestamp='1477850954' post='3164835']
If you want a jazz configuration then from the G&L range I suggest you seek out a Tribute JB-2. They are exceedingly well made. The SB-2 is the bass player's revenge. That innocent looking P pickup will eat most actives for breakfast, and throws out a strong fundamental for real weight in the low frequencies. Fellow band members might not like it. So, it is not so much the J pickup being weak in my opinion. It is usually the case that the P predominates though. Even my expensive Mike Lull PJ5 suffers from that.

Any passive tone control will bleed off some treble at all settings, although whether or not you can hear it depends on the component values. The SB lets through the raw output which means a bit more top end agression. You can tame it somewhat by winding back the bass volume and increasing the amp input gain. If you then need to cut through, turn up the volume and you not only get louder but add clarity too. Genius (Leo Fender, that is).
[/quote]
All this +1, mt SB2 is really easy to dial in. I love the way the that bringing in the bridge pup volume alters the tone

Ahh but there is a solution to the 'weaker' pickup in the SB-2 and that is to replace it with a G&L El Toro pickup. My friend bdgotoh onTB Suggested it and it fits fine and is amazing. I realize that El Toros are discontinued but you might be lucky to snag one used on the boards. Will send pic when I get it from studio.