Why become a member? ×

NBD - well i got it this week.

Twigman

This week I got myself a new bass!
It's the first whole bass I've bought since 1983
Every other bass I've had I've built myself from parts...

Well my band have started to 'acoustify' a lot of our back catalogue and are getting together periodically to jam our songs together acoustically in front rooms!
I had access to an Eastwood acoustic bass but I hate borrowing other people's gear and as I'd never had an acoustic before I took the plunge and went and bought (unseen and untried) a Fender T-Bucket 300CE acoustic bass.
[attachment=229308:Tbucket.jpg]

It has a 32" scale and is quite loud with quite a surprising amount of bass in the lower registers.
The action was set OK out of the box but does get quite high at the dusty end.
A tweak of the truss rod to straighten the neck slightly could dial that out.
The bridge is a rosewood affair and there's no way to adjust it.
It intonates perfectly on all strings up to the 12th fret so i'm not too bothered about messing with it.
It comes with phosphor bronze fender strings which are nothing like anything I've played before..I was expecting them to be quite twangy but they're surprisingly not. However they are prone to finger noise - or perhaps I should be lifting my fretting hand more?

I've not yet had a chance to play it with other instruments. It comes with a Fishman preamp which sounds great through my Tecamp Puma and barefaced supermidget although I'm hoping I won't need to take my rig to front room acoustic jams. It seems loud enough even when played with fingers.

My one bugbear so far is finding a case or a gig bag which will fit it.
The previous model T Bucket had much smaller tuner handles (is that the right word?) - this model comes with 2 x 2 full size elephant ears
[attachment=229309:TBucket ears.jpg]
This makes the headstock very wide.

Thomann says in their description of the bass that their western guitar 12 string case fits so I ordered one. It doesn't fit, the neck of the case is too narrow to accept the wide elephant ears - so i sent the case back. i already have a Thomann acoustic guitar gigbag (which they also claim is suitable) but it won't fit in there either - same problem.

I am waiting on delivery of a Fender urban acoustic bass gig bag in the hope it will fit in there.

If anyone knows of any suitable gig bags or cases that definitely will fit please let me know as I am reluctant to take it out without.
thanks

Edited by Twigman

Nice - I have what I'm assuming is an older version (and possibly cheaper version as it has more generic tuners & standard fretboard dots).

I really like mine - good for noodling when I can't be bothered to plug into an amp but sounds good amplified too, used it for a few "acoustic" gigs (though still going through the PA) & it sounded great!

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1475733644' post='3148252']
You might find that the saddle has some shims that can be removed to get the action down a bit.
[/quote]
I'll look when it needs a restring - not going to mess with it yet...

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1475669407' post='3147756']

I am waiting on delivery of a Fender urban acoustic bass gig bag in the hope it will fit in there.

[/quote]
Just arrived

I can confirm that this gig bag is a perfect fit

Happy bunny