Why become a member? ×

90s era fender p-basses

Basszilla

Had a rehearsal last night so took both my p-basses expecting to try them both back to back..

Wow. Killer sound be damned. The 95 just stays in tune and kicks out a hugely satisfying roar. I think we clicked properly.. So much so that my 08 didn't come out of it's case all night!

Delightful basses indeed! So many layers of sound and super responsive to playing position, the tone knob and technique. I tend to switch between pick and fingers and it sounds great either way.

Yeah I had a 1996 USA P until recently. Only sold it cos it was getting a bit too heavy for me and I needed the money to put towards another bass.

Great bass tho - probably best all rounder I've ever had.

Had a big chunky neck - in terms of depth rather than width tho, and a thick paint job that would probably deflect bullets.

Strangely in the ten years I owned it I don't think I ever sat down and noodled on it at home. Just wasn't that sort of bass, as it was big, chunky and heavy. But plugged in and cranked up live it was a joy to behold!

I've got a USA strat of the same sort of age (well 2001 in fact) and same story - quite heavy, but really loud, resonant, chunky neck, sounds incredible.

Interestingly both those Fenders, plus a 1999 Jazz I briefly owned, all had a million hairline lacquer cracks along the back of the neck finish. In the case of my strat, some of the lacquer has even flaked off. Dodgy batch I think in the 90s at some point!

Great guitars tho.