Why become a member? ×

Sub 4kg Yamaha BB415/425 - do they exist?

Paul S

Recently acquired, and am very much enjoying, a 3.86kg MM Sterling 5. But missing having the Precision tone option. I believe Fender or Squier Precision 5ers would have a neck that is too wide, so that kind of leaves me looking at Yamaha BBsomethings.

Anyone got a light one or are they all heavier?

Muchas gracias! :)

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1472656515' post='3122995']
My BB414's and 415 have always struck me as being a medium weight bass. My last 414 was 4kg
[/quote]

Hmm, right on the wire. A 414 at 4kg - 415 with bigger neck and extra hardware is going to be more. But my thought was are there the odd lighter ones around? As in the case of my Sterling - they *should* weigh in at around 4.25kg but mine is nearly half a kilo less, especially with lightweight tuners fitted. I like the shape and sound of these Yamahas.

Anyway, looks like there may be other options I hadn't considered, should the 5 string thing be more than a passing fancy :)

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1472713377' post='3123455']

Hmm, right on the wire. A 414 at 4kg - 415 with bigger neck and extra hardware is going to be more. But my thought was are there the odd lighter ones around? As in the case of my Sterling - they *should* weigh in at around 4.25kg but mine is nearly half a kilo less, especially with lightweight tuners fitted. I like the shape and sound of these Yamahas.

Anyway, looks like there may be other options I hadn't considered, should the 5 string thing be more than a passing fancy :)
[/quote]

I've had more 414's than I care to recall (seriously) and two (I think) 415's. They've been very consistent weight wise. I did fit one with hipshot Ultralites as they are slightly neck heavy. Great bass for the money though. I'll probably end up getting another one day, knowing me :lol:

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1472716261' post='3123492']
I do believe I bought a 414 from you a while back!
[/quote]

Yes, I believe you did. That'd be one of many that I've bought and sold over the years. When I have a spare half an hour, I'm going to go back through my eBay / PayPal history, photos etc and find out just how many BB414's I've owned. It's easily into double figures. I'd hazard a guess at about 14-16 of them. I own one, usually buy another, the same colour, then end up selling them both. Some time later, the rose tinted specs go on and I convince myself that the BB414 is the best sub £200 bass out there and go out looking for another one. I've noticed that the 414 and 415 seem to be experiencing something of a revival and often get cited as 'the budget bass that punches well above it's weight'. Opinions like that don't help the GAS guys :lol:

Edited by MoJo