Why become a member? ×

Hearing someone play your rig

BottomE

We all know that the sound you hear on stage is different to what a punter in the audience will experience. I've never really been in a situation where someone else has been playing my rig at a gig as my lot don't do shared gigs very often.

On the weekend we played a party and the guy was in a band and asked if they could get up and play a few numbers.

It was great being able to hear my rig from the back and side of a large room as a punter would hear it. Also gave me a couple of ideas in terms of some tweaks that could be made. If you've not done this i'd recommend it - realised that i had a touch too much bass and needed a little more mids.

I'm in the house band for a jam, so I hear my rig from out in the room every time. It does help to affirm (or not) my gear buying choices.

Also I've seen cheap basses sound better than expensive basses, very good but busy players overplaying and not sounding as good as average simple players, and I'm always surprised how many players come to a jam and actually don't listen to what's going on around them.

But the bass gear always sounds good.

I played at a festival a few years ago. The bassist in another band manged to crock his Stingray and was looking for a bass to borrow. I was the only one to offer, albeit my bass was fretless. He went for it anyway.
It wasn't my rig... it was through the enormous festival PA with supplied backline (a GK), but it was great to stand halfway down down the field and listen to my own bass... being played rather well, as it happened.
The bass is a fretless Warwick Thumb BO4 and I've still got it.

I actually got to hear mine for the first time this weekend, I let the last act use my rig at an outdoor festival, the bass player used a Jazz bass I thought it sounded fantastic, so much better than when I am stood on top of it! I am a little more confident to gig with my Jazz from time to time as it sounds stronger than I thought it would when stood a little distance from the amp.