Why become a member? ×

Vantage Standard II bass - '82 Matsumoku delight now £150 *posted*
£150

Paul S

Impulse buy on eBay - being a sucker for 80s Matsumoku stuff and double cutaway basses.
Very little information out there on them, so I thought I'd risk it :)

Glad I did as it is absolutely gorgeous. If the serial numbers are constant this is a 1982 model in very good nick. A few dings have been clumsily touched in by a previous owner but they don't really notice. Very little play wear.

Glossy piano black double cutaway with sculpted body. Long scale, neck is the 'typical' Matsumoku 40mm wide nut, laminated maple with rosewood board. I haven't needed to fiddle with the relief so can't confirm or deny the truss rod. Passive electrics, split humbucker with tone and volume control. Pole pieces are easily adjustable via allen key. Strong output - one of the loudest passive basses I have played. Interesting tone - deep and thuddy rolled off but soon warms up and moves into an aggressive growly bite with a very slight nasal or metallic edge.

Things to mention. It has the 3 point bridge that I understand sometimes buckle and fail. This one isn't completely flat but neither is it a problem see pic. The tuners are a bit grindy but functional. Had I been keeping it I would have upgraded these bits of hardware as I think the bass is good enough to warrant it.

Great rock bass. I suspect it would be great for metal. Looks fab - different. Lovely to play - I'd put this as easily on a par with the two Aria Pro II basses I have had in the past, possibly a tad nicer than the Westone Thunder basses. I would love to keep it but it is simply too heavy for me at around 9.5lbs.

[s]£150 collected from SS7 on the North Essex Delta. £20 for next day insured courier to mainland UK[/s]. Sold with a used but functional hard case. No EU at the moment [s]and no offers, please, as this is a bargain[/s]. Now £150 posted to mainland UK address.

Edited by Paul S