Why become a member? ×

Speaker trouble?

Danuman

Hey all,

I was hoping maybe some of you could help me think about this. I'm kind of afraid a young grasshopper inadvertently slapped my 112 to death at a gig yesterday. :(

How would a blown speaker sound? I'm not quite sure, as I've never dealt with something like this before, but it seems my E string doesn't quite pack the wallop it did before - the A string and up sounds fine, btw. I'm really hoping it's just a dull string, but I don't have a fresh one on hand...

All the best,

Daniel

I doubt if an A string would sound fine and an E string not because of a blown speaker. You could try putting some music through it from an iPod at a decent volume and see how it sounds, that will be more revealing than just bass.

Damaged but working speakers often make a scratching sound when the coil rubs against the magnet gap. The trick is to push the cone backwards a couple of mm whilst listening for any undue noises. To do that use a cup or wide rimmed glass centred in the cone so that you can push the cone evenly without twisting it side to side.

I think it's going to be OK though. good luck.

Thanks for the advice Phil, I'll be sure to give that a try!

I'm not quite sure what's going on. The E string sounds fine acoustically, but plugged in it's dull and anemic. I'll have to try some configurations to see what the problem is. Maybe it's the amp...

Well, I guess that'd be safer, but I don't like to be precious with my stuff. If people hadn't let me play on their rigs when I was a teenager... I doubt I would have played anywhere.

Kinda sucks I got burned right away though. I just got it last week. 😢

Good news. Well, sort of. Did some A/B-ing and it turns out the problem was my bass after all.
I suppose it'll be easy enough to fix.

Thanks guys, my mini-meltdown has now subsided. :)

Food for thought, though...

Just come to the thread.

The first strings to go dead are the E and A. So it sounds like it's nee strings you need. But we all panic don't we.

I had a right go at a mate once for playing his guitar through my amp when I thought his treble overdrive had wrecked it. I was wrong.

I know what you mean. As luck would have it, I only found out there was trouble after the fact, so I didn't lash out to anyone.

Turns out the neck had come loose. Didn't see that one coming...

I do now realize I need a way more powerful rig. Which is a bloody shame, because I love the flavour of this little setup. There's just not enough of it to push a full-on drum kit.

Thanks, I hadn't considered that yet, but it's a nice way of thinking about it. I'll definitely look into it. It might lose some of its one-trip-only charm, though.

The amp was a gift from my girlfriend for a pretty momentous occasion, so I don't particularly want to part with it. I do think I'll upgrade to a 212 though. That way I'd still be able to put it in my car without too much fuss.