Why become a member? ×

Pedal Order?

lateralus462

My pedal chain currently looks like this:

Boss ODB-3 - EHX Bass Balls - Marshall Jackhammer - Flanger - Limiter

I find this works quite well as running the ODB-3 into the Bass Balls gives some quite nice synthy sounds, and running the bass balls into the Jackhammer gives more of a glitchy sort of sound (especially with the dist switch on the Bass Balls turned on) so I'm happy with that part of the chain.

What I can't work out is whether the Limiter should go before or after the flanger. Sound different both ways and I can't decide which one I like better - What order do people usually put these sort of fx in?

Never used a limiter in my effects chain, but I use them all the time in the studio when recording / mixing / mastering. Limiters are intended to limit the final signal from clipping and level out any peaks (along with a compressor), so I would imagine you would want to keep it at the end...

A limiter is just a compressor with high ratio etc. There is a good explanation on the basschat wiki.

Some would have a compressor first in the effect chain to give the other effects a fatter and more consistant signal, particularly effects that sould different depending on the input signal.