Why become a member? ×

Hartke LH 500 fault (Volume decreases)

Mog

Hi all

My trusty LH 500 (housed in a 5210c combo) has developed a fault. Basically after a few minutes of use the output drops considerably. The power indicator and limiter lights stay on constantly and there is always sound coming from the unit so I don't think its a problem with the transistor.
Could it be as simple as a retube fix?
Any thoughts/insights welcome

Hmm, others seem to have encountered the same problem with the LH500 - [url="https://www.talkbass.com/threads/hartke-lh500-problem.1162479/"]https://www.talkbass.com/threads/hartke-lh500-problem.1162479/[/url]

Cheers mate, had a look through a few threads on TB and here and although some of the issues seem to be similar all involve the head cutting out completely. Mine just drops volume, ~15-20dB.
If it cut out completely and/or lost power (mains) I would suspect something like a broken solder joint on the mains surge protector or a problem with a supply cap lead.
Totally stumped with this one.

Sounds very similar to what happened to my Kilo, which I'd had less than 8 weeks when they came out, It was sent back to the UK distributor under warranty (via the retailer) and there it remained for ever as they couldn't fix it despite having it 3 months.

Try changing the valve, they are cheap and you can do it yourself. Also, run a cable through the effects loop (from send to return). Most people don't use these, and the contacts can get dirty and mess up the pre/power amp signal. If that doesn't work get it to a tech for diagnosis.