Why become a member? ×

Small combos

JPJ

Well after an unplanned but hugely successful 'acoustic' session at last weekends gig, we're now considering adding this to the repertoire, and have already been rebooked by last weeks venue for an acoustic only gig. The only problem with last weeks show was I was playing through my Radial Tonebone straight into the house PA and I was behind the speakers so couldn't really hear myself.

Now a while ago I owned a lovely little PJB Briefcase combo that would have been perfect for this situation, with the PA doing the work and the PJB acting as my personal monitor but I had to let her go during a bout of unemployment. So now I'm thinking of getting another either 100w like I had or the newer 150w version, but then I'm also tempted by the 150w flight case with the upward firing speakers which might be a bit more useful in small venues. Question is, I know and love the front end of the Briefcase (as I still own a bass buddy pre with the same feature set) and I know the Flightcase is a different feature set but which is best?

Anybody got any experience of either the 150w briefcase or the Flightcase that they'd care to share (positive or negative)?

Flightcase 150 is very neutral/clean sounding. 5 band eq - subtle but effective. Mine does a great job. When I need more volume, I add power amp and cab/cabs - it has a pre out. Very happy with it.

Edited by Dan Dare

I have owned both. The tone of the briefcase was very warm and the eq just perfect. I preferred it to the flightcase which to me was more middy. I suspect it's the different speakers used but I'm not sure. If you don't need the power how about the PB-100 with the buddy.

I eventually settled on a TCE BG250-208. A bit more power and the ability to use an ext cab.

Edited by grandad