Why become a member? ×

How you go about getting gigs?

Callumjord

[quote name='rungles' timestamp='1464646331' post='3061172']
I usually find that with a new band, cancellations are always a good way in. It's tough to get gigs but if a venue has your number and they are in the sh*t, chances are you will get a call. Word soon gets around.
[/quote]

Yes, this is a good way in.
I've found that if you're nimble and ready to go as a band a lot of work can be picked up this way.
I've linked in to most of the local live music sites on Facebook and every weekend there's requests posted for bands to fill cancellations.

Thanks a lot for the advice, lots of solid advice here,

We have a couple of gigs lined up for the rest of the year but its roughly sitting at 3 so far, we are hoping that the word of mouth will spread and we will get more booked before the end of the year.

We do have a Facebook page set up, we had a youtube channel as well but we found that we got more response and views just by the Facebook page alone.

I have suggested that we turn up to some low key acoustic open mic nights and then suggest to the landlords/owners that we are also a fully working covers band with own PA/equipment

[quote name='Callumjord' timestamp='1464716058' post='3061788']
Thanks a lot for the advice, lots of solid advice here,

We have a couple of gigs lined up for the rest of the year but its roughly sitting at 3 so far, we are hoping that the word of mouth will spread and we will get more booked before the end of the year.

We do have a Facebook page set up, we had a youtube channel as well but we found that we got more response and views just by the Facebook page alone.

I have suggested that we turn up to some low key acoustic open mic nights and then suggest to the landlords/owners that we are also a fully working covers band with own PA/equipment
[/quote]

Build on the 3 gigs you have and don't give up because it will be tempting.

Blue

I agree, the cd approach is a waste of time. We have found however, a few videos on YouTube can help. If they want to look , they can. If they don't, so what?
Our drummer is a delivery driver and he has got gigs by asking whilst on his rounds. Basically , you have to brass it and ask. If you are an unknown quantity, you will HAVE to play cheaper until they know what you are worth

[quote name='PaulGibsonBass' timestamp='1464642621' post='3061126']
We have had very good results using Facebook. After identifying venues we have approached them via our Facebook profile to theirs, and we have picked up a lot of work now that way. Our page has photos, Soundcloud links (forget CDs...), set list etc.

We still get gigs through more traditional methods but we're finding that social media really works for us.
[/quote]

+1 to this method. I 'messenger' the venue and then write a post on their page to tell them I've messaged about gig opportunities. I've a template for the first message and the subsequent ones. You can normally obtain a response eventually even if it's a thanks but no thanks response. It's a numbers game so target as many as you can and keep a list/database/spreadsheet of all your comms

Of course the key to all this is building long term relationships with venues and getting regular bookings.

And always try to get the rebook date on the night

I'd say it more about who you know than how good a band is.

We're lucky enough to get booked for Summerfest every year. Its not that were all that good, it's because we have a high level connection, Hell they've never even heard the band.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1464821130' post='3062992']

Great festival. What's the band name and stage that you're playing on?
[/quote]t

I was lucky enough to get to Summerfest years ago. It is indeed a superb festival. You have done well to get on the bill there.

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1464847436' post='3063042']
t

I was lucky enough to get to Summerfest years ago. It is indeed a superb festival. You have done well to get on the bill there.
[/quote]

It's a top notch 2 week long festival. Paul McCartney is opening this year, last year it was The Stones.

All the main stages are well managed, great backline and sound.Vans to take each band to and from the stage and another van for whatever gear you bring.

Thing is you really need at least a 5:00 slot to get a big crowd. I'm not sure what our slot is this year, but I know it's not a 5:00 slot.

Blue

Edited by blue