Why become a member? ×

Traynor YBA200 Valve Amp users

Pow_22

[font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Any YBA200 users around that can share some EQ tips?[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#000000"] [/color][/size][/font]
[font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#000000"]I recently bought a Traynor YBA200 valve amp to pair with my Ampeg 410he. [/color][/size][size="3"][color="#000000"]With my flats loaded P bass im getting an excellent beefy huge tone that thumps and kicks to the chest like my old Ampeg SVT but with more achievable valve break-up at the lower volume.[/color][/size][size="3"][color="#000000"] [/color][/size][size="3"][color="#000000"]The amp has fresh JJ KT88’s in the power stage, a pair of Tungsol 12AX7’s in the pre and a EH 12AU7 as the splitter.[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#000000"]However, I do sometimes have the problem of my E & A strings being nice thumpy and meaty (sometimes bordering on boomy) and the G & D being relatively weak with a bit too much mid-rangey qack/honk and not quite enough heft[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#000000"]I do think its an EQ ‘issue’ rather than bass setup issue. [/color][/size][size="3"][color="#000000"]My EQ is generally set as bass at noon, treble at say 10’clock and mids at 2’o’clock.[/color][/size][size="3"][color="#000000"] [/color][/size][size="3"][color="#000000"]The YBA 200 also comes with a Range control that adjusts the frequency range for all the EQ controls.[/color][/size][size="3"][color="#000000"] [/color][/size][size="3"][color="#000000"]I generally have this set about 9’oclock.[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#000000"]The tone I want is that lovely woody growly tone, think:-[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#000000"]London Calling – Clash[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#000000"]That’s Entertainment – Jam[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Where The Sreets.. – U2[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Ive always assumed that came from a pick, Flats, P bass, Valve amp setup?[/color][/size][/font]

I've found some cabs don't suit some amps or vice versa and can make some frequencies really boomy.
Make sure your pick up heights are correctly adjusted first, then play with the eq then if the boom is still there try it with another cab.

Seen some threads on them saying the breakup kicks in pretty low and changing the 12Ax7 valves to 12AT7 to clean up the sound a little within the given head room. But a few people don't like the EQ much and prefer the YBA300 sound and headroom. Here is a thread about tones on the 200 I came across. https://www.talkbass.com/threads/traynor-yba200-tones.979322/

Cheers for the link. Mine doesn't break up early at all, infact that's what led me to try the Tungsols as I heard they had a grittier sound than the JJ's it had in previous

Think I might need to play around with the volume/gain mix to get a bit more grit instead of just a fat bass tone

[quote name='Pow_22' timestamp='1464267986' post='3058050']
Cheers for the link. Mine doesn't break up early at all...
[/quote]

You'll have a hard time getting KT88's to break up at all. The pre-amp shouldn't be difficult (depending on circuitry...), those o/p valves will stay pretty hifi much further (that means 'louder'...) than other valves, such as the 6550's. You can overdrive the pre, but that's not the same as 'bending' the o/p valves.
Just sayin'.