Why become a member? ×

State of Mind Factor

thepurpleblob

I won't bore everyone with the details, but we played a gig along with another band over the weekend and to cut a log story short it hadn't been booked properly, the other band didn't know we where coming, the PA guy took a strop and I got *very* stressed out.

The net result was that my playing went out of the window. All that stuff that was simple got very difficult because I was very tense. My question is, I suppose, what do you do to either stay or get relaxed for a gig? I get stressed very easily and it has a very bad effect on my playing.

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='294361' date='Sep 29 2008, 10:15 AM']I won't bore everyone with the details, but we played a gig along with another band over the weekend and to cut a log story short it hadn't been booked properly, the other band didn't know we where coming, the PA guy took a strop and I got *very* stressed out.

The net result was that my playing went out of the window. All that stuff that was simple got very difficult because I was very tense. My question is, I suppose, what do you do to either stay or get relaxed for a gig? I get stressed very easily and it has a very bad effect on my playing.[/quote]

I know it'll sound corny but I take a deep breath in, close my eyes, picture meself walking out onto the stage at wembly with a gazillion people cheering and the spotlights on me, then breath out, open my eyes and notice I'm at the local Dog&Duck and it all seems amusingly relaxed after that :)

give it a shot, it might help!

[quote name='phil_the_bassist' post='294367' date='Sep 29 2008, 10:23 AM']I know it'll sound corny but I take a deep breath in, close my eyes, picture meself walking out onto the stage at wembly with a gazillion people cheering and the spotlights on me, then breath out, open my eyes and notice I'm at the local Dog&Duck and it all seems amusingly relaxed after that :)

give it a shot, it might help![/quote]

How do you know this wasn't Wembly? :huh: Good advice though - not corny at all!

Well the first thing is to remember the 6P rule "proper preparation prevents p155 poor performance" ie manage the situation beforehand.
Whomever does the "management" bit in your band should check everything like this beforehand - a lesson for the future, perhaps.
If that's you then I guess you have a few new questions to ask the promoters when booking up a gig ...

Then remember a few things ..
"It's only rock and roll"
"No one died and it didn't even rain"

Then remember that for about an hour before playing your bloodstream will be running with adrenaline, you'll be nervous and excited and your mouth will probably spout rubbish if you let it. So avoid situations where that may not be the best thing ...

Do not under any circumstances get drunk or high until after playing

Then there's a few actual techniques ..

Remove yourself from the situation, go somewhere quiet (or at least away from everyone else) and just do the visualization mentioned above, It's like Johnnie Wilkinson seeing that ball fly over the crossbar before kicking it. Just visualize your gig going well ...

Physically?
Here's a few tricks from my public speaking kit bag:

(Warning, DO NOT DO THIS ONE IF YOU ARE PREGNANT)
You can calm yourself down by massaging the triangle web pad between your thumb and first finger. If you are stressed there will be a little knotted/painful bit there, just give that few minutes' massage.
(Warning: DO NOT DO THAT IF YOU ARE PREGNANT - it can effect things "down there")

The second technique also helps with shaky hands .. Sit on a chair and push against the sides of the seat (ie under your bum) for 5 x 10 second bursts. this will help you calm down and stop shaky hands ..

Then get out there and do the do .....

Remember, it's just a gig ....

[quote name='OldGit' post='294391' date='Sep 29 2008, 10:47 AM']Well the first thing is to remember the 6P rule "proper preparation prevents p155 poor performance" ie manage the situation beforehand.
Whomever does the "management" bit in your band should check everything like this beforehand - a lesson for the future, perhaps.
If that's you then I guess you have a few new questions to ask the promoters when booking up a gig ...

Then remember a few things ..
"It's only rock and roll"
"No one died and it didn't even rain"

Then remember that for about an hour before playing your bloodstream will be running with adrenaline, you'll be nervous and excited and your mouth will probably spout rubbish if you let it. So avoid situations where that may not be the best thing ...

Do not under any circumstances get drunk or high until after playing

Then there's a few actual techniques ..

Remove yourself from the situation, go somewhere quiet (or at least away from everyone else) and just do the visualization mentioned above, It's like Johnnie Wilkinson seeing that ball fly over the crossbar before kicking it. Just visualize your gig going well ...

Physically?
Here's a few tricks from my public speaking kit bag:

(Warning, DO NOT DO THIS ONE IF YOU ARE PREGNANT)
You can calm yourself down by massaging the triangle web pad between your thumb and first finger. If you are stressed there will be a little knotted/painful bit there, just give that few minutes' massage.
(Warning: DO NOT DO THAT IF YOU ARE PREGNANT - it can effect things "down there")

The second technique also helps with shaky hands .. Sit on a chair and push against the sides of the seat (ie under your bum) for 5 x 10 second bursts. this will help you calm down and stop shaky hands ..

Then get out there and do the do .....

Remember, it's just a gig ....[/quote]

It actually *was* all my fault I suppose. It was just a pub gig, but there where a lot of people I knew and it was on the back of another, unrelated event with which I was involved. The organiser of that had assured me on several occasions that everybody knew everything that was happening but clearly communication broke down somewhere. I ended up knocking on the PA guys door half an hour before the start time (he has buggered off home) asking if we could move his stuff around and getting told that "he would just come and take it all away then". One of those nights :-)

I play in a band where I am by far the least experienced and talented. Most of the other guys have gigged 40+ times. I did my first ever gig a couple of months ago. I've now done a total of 4!

Strangely, I always seem to be the least nervous.

I find a good few pints helps. Also, I tend to think to myself "its only bass - most people can't tell when you f***-up". I then look at the 40 people watching and it kinda puts things into perspective. Until I play Wembley, I view every gig as a rehearsal.

I shower every morning and it's one moment of the day when I'm completely relaxed and unstressed, a moment of calm between the horror of getting out of bed and the stress of packing stuff for work. When I'm stressed before a gig I just close my eyes and call to mind the feeling of being in the shower. Weird but it works.

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='294424' date='Sep 29 2008, 11:38 AM']I play in a band where I am by far the least experienced and talented. Most of the other guys have gigged 40+ times. I did my first ever gig a couple of months ago. I've now done a total of 4!

Strangely, I always seem to be the least nervous.

I find a good few pints helps. Also, I tend to think to myself "its only bass - most people can't tell when you f***-up". I then look at the 40 people watching and it kinda puts things into perspective. Until I play Wembley, I view every gig as a rehearsal.[/quote]

Even though I only started playing bass a few years ago in my old age, I've played a LOT (hundreds probably) of gigs. Some on big stages at big events, weddings, the lot. Previous to that, I played percussion in orchestras - I've even played the Royal Albert Hall!! I would have said that I don't get stage-fright but I'm probably kidding myself. Most of the time, I play worse live than I do at rehearsals and it's down to stress and the body-tension that generates. I guess it's just the kind of person I am

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='294438' date='Sep 29 2008, 12:00 PM']Slightly off topic, but it seems like a lot of bass players don't drink.[/quote]

I was reading somewhere that bass players often turn out to be the most accomplished all round musician in the band. Perhaps we are just quite cerebral people. I don't think I can claim any of that myself.

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='294442' date='Sep 29 2008, 12:04 PM']I was reading somewhere that bass players often turn out to be the most accomplished all round musician in the band. Perhaps we are just quite cerebral people. I don't think I can claim any of that myself.[/quote]

judgin for El Basho, we all seemed down-to-earth, decent guys. Defo no arrogance/egos/"LOOK AT MEE!!" types.

Bassists rock, and chicks dig the low-end rumble, good sense of rhythm and strong, dexterous fingers...or so I've been told :)

I think it's just about getting comfortable with your instrument and your abilities, and to put it in perspective. It's just music, and as wonderful as music is, it's just good clean fun :) Even if you hold yourself to a high standard (I know I do!), once you're actually on stage performing it's pointless worrying about it, it just gives you something to work on afterwards.

Mark

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='294455' date='Sep 29 2008, 12:18 PM']Don't get me wrong, I don't think its a good idea to play w***ered, but I find between 4-6 pints means I enjoy myself a hell of a lot more.[/quote]
i know this i probably wrong in general but...
+1
i played my first gig sober recently, and it was the worst i have ever played and thats not me just thinking that it what i was told after wards, ok i wasn't totally sh*te but they did say i had played ALOT better on the other gigs, and i had certainly quaffed my fair share at those. but this recent one i was driving so i had to stay on the water and cola.
you could try something like those CALMS tablets if they don't make you too drowsy to take the edge off as you don't drink.

[quote name='Cantdosleepy' post='294429' date='Sep 29 2008, 11:44 AM'].... When I'm stressed before a gig I just close my eyes and call to mind the feeling of being in the shower. Weird but it works.[/quote]
I will try and think of you in the shower too but I don't think it will work. :)

Generally I am the least nervous one out of any of my bands. Odd really as I'm pretty shy and quite the rest of the time but put me on a stage and I go mental. One beer beforehand deffo helps for me.