Why become a member? ×

My Matching Dingwall Super P and Js (Luminlay content)

therealting

I've had my matching Super J and Super P for a few months, but this is the first time I've had them both at home at the same time as I've had them in the shop getting a few things looked at, serviced and upgraded.

The P is completely stock other than D'Addario Chromes and having the Tone Fusion pot replaced as it was scratchy (even after contact cleaner). The J had a plexiglass ramp and a John East J-Retro installed, and I had that upgraded to a Deluxe by getting a passive tone control from John East put in.

Because the pearl side-dots on them were often impossible to see under imperfect lighting conditions, one thing I decided I wanted on both was Luminlays. I went for the blue ones, 3mm blue dots with 1mm black surrounds (5mm total diameter). I was slightly worried that they'd be too big, but they look fantastic.

In bright conditions, the dual-contrast scheme means they are easily visible against either the rosewood board or the maple neck. In dim conditions, the glow of the Luminlays remain visible for a long time and yet are much more subtle than LEDs: they were still glowing softly when I removed them from their cases in a dark room some 8 hours after picking them up from my tech.

Highly recommended upgrade for anyone who's having difficulty seeing their side-dots. They were installed by the fantastic Feline Guitars in Croydon who do tech work on all my guitars other than basic setups which I do myself. They are also available in front dots and even volume and tone knobs.

And before anyone goes on the whole "I don't need to look at the fingerboard" thing... well I'm pleased for you, but I prefer having reference points when I am doing big position shifts or starting points, partly because I play several basses (fanned and parallel frets, different scales) and partly because I also play double bass and guitar and find muscle memory positions change per instrument and it can take me a little while to acclimatise to each.

Edited by therealting