Why become a member? ×

DBX Driveracks and the like - who uses them?

EBS_freak

Used a Driverack a few years ago with a JBL system in a function band.
I remember it being a useful bit of kit, enabling quicker setups and sound checks
which were appreciated when time was at a premium. Was reliable too.
Have no idea now whether they are still worth getting, or have been superseded
by more recent advances.

[quote name='casapete' timestamp='1463263694' post='3050096']
Used a Driverack a few years ago with a JBL system in a function band.
I remember it being a useful bit of kit, enabling quicker setups and sound checks
which were appreciated when time was at a premium. Was reliable too.
Have no idea now whether they are still worth getting, or have been superseded
by more recent advances.
[/quote]

What was it specifically that allowed for quicker setups and sound checks?

Mine has been the heart of my install system for many years and come to think of it, the old system (pre 2006) too. I've ran with one since about 2003 and have been pretty much solid with the exception of a replacement display which was done under warranty. For the record, its the orignal DriveRack PA wiith the blue panel and white display. as I understand there's a number of different models now. I've been very happy with mine..

I have limited experience with the BSS Omnidriive and Ashly Protea also. Both great and very comprehensive.

I've never used it's 'Auto EQ / RTA' as I prefer to do it manually as these things never tend to sound right. It also applies scary boosts in the 20 to 40 Hz region to attempt 20-20 flat. Paul did this down at the Full Moon about ten years ago but luckilly I managed to undo it before any subs got smashed up. To be fair, this and the 'sub harmonic' feature are the only parts I don't use.

As a last point, if you're runnng a two or three way system, recallable settings (assuming they're correct in the first place) can save a massive amount of time and headaches especially if somone accidentally knocked the x10 button on the Behringer x-overs for example. Plus it's an all in one box so it saves carrying separate EQ / X-Over / Limiter / units.

Thanks for your input. Yes - I've been toying with the idea I think it ultimately has limited use to me although the RTA section does appeal for quick tuning of the room... however.... You aren't the first person to mention the boosting of the lows either... as for the sub harmonic feature, yes, asking for trouble. Ive got that on the GLD80 and it's destined to cause much worry to any subwoofers!

Just remember that we could save settings from regular gigs in the same rooms.
Also using the mic/analyser we could set the eq fairly quickly to get it sounding okay.
Bearing in mind we did the sound ourselves from onstage with no out front sound guy
so was good to know the system was tuned to the room (especially before the guitarist
started messing with the mix.....)
Sorry I can't offer more technical help.

[quote name='casapete' timestamp='1463269457' post='3050125']
Just remember that we could save settings from regular gigs in the same rooms.
Also using the mic/analyser we could set the eq fairly quickly to get it sounding okay.
Bearing in mind we did the sound ourselves from onstage with no out front sound guy
so was good to know the system was tuned to the room (especially before the guitarist
started messing with the mix.....)
Sorry I can't offer more technical help.
[/quote]
Yes - this mic/analyser is the intriguing bit. 2-4 measurements of a couple of seconds each and a tuned (ish) room sounds great. Certainly eliminates those hot frequencies.