Why become a member? ×

Aluminium Part 2

BigRedX

Here's the second in an occasional series...

Hartke XL-4

More aluminium necks this time from Hartke. The XL-4 was the top of the range Hartke model, built by the Vaccaro factory in the US and apparently each instrument was personally inspected by Larry Hartke himself with a certificate of authenticity to go with it. I bought this second hand from the US (those of you who also hang out at TalkBass may have seen this bass before), and unfortunately the certificate is long gone.

There is no denying though that this instrument has been assembled from quality parts. Sprezel Trim-lock machine heads, Schaller bridge, EMG active P-J pickups and active 2-band EQ. Poplar body finished in a sparkly metallic purple, flamed maple shell around the Vaccaro double T-bar aluminium neck and ebanol fingerboard.

There's other design quirks apart from the aluminium neck - the frets are much thinner than normally seen on a bass and there's a zero fret as well as the nut. The controls are individual volume controls for each pickup rather than the more conventional volume and balance. There's also a distinctly unconventional-looking truss rod nut that appears to require a special tool to operate, which is also long gone. As with all basses I've imported from the US, the neck could do with some adjustment to suit the different climate here (even with the aluminium reinforcement) but unless Hartke's UK distributors Sound Technology can come up with the goods, it may require a call to Larry's mobile to sort out!

Difficult to know what the target market was for this bass when it came out. It was pretty pricey at $2500 list for what is, apart from the aluminium neck construction, basically a P-J bass albeit one fitted with above-average parts. It's not as quirky as the Vaccaro basses that it was derived from, plus there was a much cheaper version with more normal hardware and not personally inspected by Mr Hartke. All-in-all a bit of an oddity really and I do have the feeling that the aluminium necks were a bit of a gimmick for Hartke simply so the bass would match the aluminium cones for their speakers...

I like it though simply because of it's oddness. plus this is probably as close as I'll come to owning a conventional modern P-J. It's got a bright ringing sound although not the sustain of the Kramers, but it does have a slim fast neck and who could resist the sparkle purple finish! Also at a little over £300 including a (Non-Hartke) hard case and shipping, customs etc. not a bad deal at all.

There was a 5-string in the cheaper version the [url="http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=48&brandID=3"]XK=5[/url]. It seems to be the same design but cheaper parts, so no Sprezels, EMGs or Schaller bridge. It's J-J pickup configuration and available in black only. I've not seen one for sale since they were discontinued. Also the XK basses sell for same price second hand as the XLs so they're not as good value for money.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='BigRedX' post='294246' date='Sep 28 2008, 11:13 PM']There was a 5-string in the cheaper version the [url="http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=48&brandID=3"]XK=5[/url]. It seems to be the same design but cheaper parts, so no Sprezels, EMGs or Schaller bridge. It's J-J pickup configuration and available in black only. I've not seen one for sale since they were discontinued. Also the XK basses sell for same price second hand as the XLs so they're not as good value for money.[/quote]Thats a pity only choice of black...i really like the colour of this one..