Why become a member? ×

MESA 400+ Settings

jimbartlett

Morning all!

I'd just thought I'd share a couple of tips with fellow MESA 400/400+ owners with regards to my quest of getting a good tone from this beast.

I have always liked the sound/volume and oomph I can get from my amp but have always felt like I've been fighting against it and always been on the edge of having a good tone or an unusable tone.

I did a bit of research around the web and found a good tip via Talk Bass which enabled the EQ to be a lot more user friendly (i.e. subtle changes in tone rather than full on or off) and I've now got a lovely grit/dirt warm tube sound with the graphic EQ off, plus I have a growling SVT "type" sound with the graphic EQ on.

Here's what I have done:

I changed out the first pre-amp 12AX7 (this is the first on the left as you look at the front of the amp) with a NOS GE 12AU7 (it's a 1980's one). This is lower gain than the 12AX7 it replaced and really helps tame the beast!

OBBM made me a splitter cable a while back so I use this out of my optical compressor to drive both channels on the amp at the same time. Channel 1 (modern channel) volume on about 6.5/7, Channel 2 (old school) volume on 8 and then use the master as needed. I must add I play with passive basses so these may be different for you if you have hotter pickups than me.

On the EQ, I pull the Bass and Treble out to shift the mid setting on each. The Bass is on 3 and Treble on 2.5 and I have the Mid on 10 (which is it's flat setting as you can only cut mids on this amp).

The graphic has a small 40Hz boost, little bit bigger 100Hz, bigger 250hz, 625Hz same as 40Hz and then the 3900Hz on the same as the 100Hz (see photo).

Graphic EQ switched off is my main tone and a lovely grit punch with the warmth of the amp shining through my Aguilar DB212 (tweeter off btw). Graphic EQ switched on, you get a snarling SVT drive which sounds amazing (make sure you drop the master volume a touch though as it's louder than switched off obviously).

I hope this helps fellow MESA owners get a hold of their EQ if they have been scratching their head. I had mine up for sale for a while but have now fallen in love with it all over again. I know it is heavy (lightweight seems to be the new thing these days) but that tone is GORGEOUS!!

Cheers

Jim

Edited by jimbartlett

Nice thanks for that. Used to just use mine flat into the 1516 can but remember playing with the input gain etc. Eventually found a great tone but the full range cab definitely helped. This write up would have been useful. I don't think I ever tried using a Y lead; probably should have done!