Why become a member? ×

Opinions on using Active 10" PA Speakers for stage monitoring

mingsta

If your deep bass is going through the main PA,and deep bass is pretty much omni-directional, you should be able to filter out the bottom couple of octaves going through the monitors, so that you can still hear what you are playing, but you do not overload the speakers.

David

Thanks for the really useful input guys. As ever you've talked me in to going larger and more expensive than I'd originally planned. It sounds like a Yamaha DBR12 or equivalent 12" active PA speaker from RCF etc would give a little bit more bass extension and offer a bit of versatility for other usage in the future.

A couple of posters talked about backlines and stage volume etc. This will shock and disgust the majority of you but my band is possibly the quietest band going in that respect as WE HAVE NO BACKLINE!!! Our guitard does not actually own an amp and just goes straight in to the desk and the drummer uses headphones blended with a monitor mix from the desk.

Up till now, we've been using my PJB bass cub as the monitor for the whole band and pass the FOH mix through this. It's worked surprisingly well due to the lack of competing backline, but looks rather amateurish. The drawbacks are that you can't hear much kick or bass guitar. Keeping time's fine as I can zone in on the snare/hi hat, but I've started to take a separate bass amp for personal monitoring. So I think anything we get is going to be a step up from our current set up.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick follow up on this.

After much deliberation I went for my original choice and got the Dbr10.

It's got a nice full range sound for such a small speaker and I think it's got plenty enough clout for our monitoring needs (we don't generate much stage volume).

We put the whole band through it at rehearsal last night, albeit at moderate volumes, and it sounded great. We're playing a wedding next weekend so will give it a proper go at gig volume then.

I'm keeper of the main PA and desk so my back is thanking me for taking the small and light option on this occasion.