Why become a member? ×

Just ridiculous!

JapanAxe

You have to be reasonable with your expectations..
I very much doubt it would underpin a band in any sense that you'd be satisfied with....bar a very quiet one.
Volume isn't the consideration in that context... it is about how the bass is heard.

I always like to 102 combo but you needed to consider where it could do a job..

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1464947448' post='3063969']
I think it comes down to how each of us play, and what we consider "loud enough"
Some people play with a light touch, but want to sit on top of the mix.
This isn't going to be enough for them.
Some might play with a light touch, but like to be more in the mix than on top of it. This could work for them.
I often go out to pubs when i have a weekend off to listen to different bands.
It's amazing to me how some of them set their sound. There is no mix as such. Just two separate guitar players, and a bass player with no consideration (it seems) for how they all sound together.
Granted, this is more of an EQ issue than volume, but because they dont consider the overall sound, everyone seems to try to push volume higher to be heard.
[/quote]

This is all too common and whilst the bass wants to go light..and that POV is understandable... the gtrs and drums often don't.

What you often get left with is the bass amp can make a sound but it can't support the band very well... so the balance and overall sound suffers.

So, just from a bass POV, it is a struggle..and that is before you get into EQ, players styles and how the other players see the roll in terms of sound..and whetrher they consider anyone elses..

IMO, it is the number one mistake from pub/local bands and it is probably becaused they have never discussed or even considered it.
So then, band sound is pot luck because nobody really knows what they are doing or what they want to sound like, individually or collectively.

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1466964841' post='3080085']
You have to be reasonable with your expectations..
I very much doubt it would underpin a band in any sense that you'd be satisfied with....bar a very quiet one.
Volume isn't the consideration in that context... it is about how the bass is heard.

I always like to 102 combo but you needed to consider where it could do a job..
[/quote]

I couldn't agree more. Just having volume as such is not always enough. Having the correct tone at the required volume is not easy with small cabs. I very much doubt these small cabs can blow away any band if the guitarist and drummer decided to up their volume.